SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a stubby, rubbery antenna work as a replacement for the mast and motor stupidity? I hate the mast and motor set up; in a Canadian climate it makes about as much sense a pop up head lights (Fieros and RX-7s are always winking at me!! ;))

I am just wondering if any one has any experience, thoughts or ideas retro fitting these on a 9000.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I have one (rubbery stubby antenna) it was on the car when I bought it and works ok,( I also have a rubbishy hitachi radio and am frightened to take it out and see what they've done back there :eek:) but the ariel should be a direct swop :cheesy:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! How is the mating surface? Dose it leak or is it well sealed where it meets the body? Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
There is another way.

The motorized one isn't so bad except for that it comes up whenever you turn on the Radio/Cass/CD which sucks since you don't need it half the time and in the winter cold it jams and ruins the motor. I mounted a switch (on the power antenna wire) when I installed my deck and if it's off, the antenna stays down.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read that thread when I did a site search about OEM antenna alternatives. It's a great idea, but the fact remains that I cant stand the mast and motor set up. But thanks for the suggestion, if I don't like how the rubbery stubby seals to the car body, (ie. leaks water into the car body!), it may be the way I will go!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
cprince said:
Thanks for the reply! How is the mating surface? Dose it leak or is it well sealed where it meets the body? Can you post a pic?
It doesn't leak, kind of hard rubber base to the antenna (which is about 12" long), I think it just uses the origional hole

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow!

That looks better than I thought it would! Thank you for the picture, it is quite appreciated. How is the reception? I realize that this was installed when you bought the car, but is the reception any better or worse compared to others you may have used?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I think the reception is the same as with the OEM antenna, there's only one place (in a narrow valley) were I lose all reception, but other cars I've driven (Mercedes, ford etc.) all lose reception there :cheesy:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all the great advise and feed back! I will update this thread when I do the change over.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
In the meantime, I have had good success using bike cable lubricant to clean and lubricate the mast. It is basically graphite in a light solvent that cleans and lubricates the mast. The cable lube also helps prevent ice from sticking to the mast.

On most 9000 the mast is replaceable for about $35 plus a little labour. The motor doesn't break it is the plastic gear teeth on the end of the steel antenna wire that operates the mast from inside the telescoping metal tubes. Think of this as a coiled plastic "rack" that the metal pinion on the motor engages and moves the wire up and down inside the mast to raise and lower it. When the metal tubes seize up due to dirt (and ice in winter) the metal pinion keeps turning and eventually breaks the rack teeth. The mast can be removed and a new one inserted without taking the motor out of the trunk. This does not apply to the 97 Aero which has an expensive assembly which does not have a separately replaceable mast. Ask me how I know this!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts