SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 900SE which currently has 131K miles on it. When I bought it last year it had 126K on it. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I'm starting to wonder whether or not the Turbo was replaced at one point. From what I've read and heard, Turbos typically kick at about 80K to 100K. What do you guys think the odds are of this being the original Turbo?

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
Turbos on Saabs are rarely replaced. Maybe back in the '80s you could only expect 80,000 miles out of a turbo, but Saab's turbos should last the life of the car. What makes you think that yours has been replaced? It's entirely possible that it's been rebuilt. That's not out of the question.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Yeah these milages are not consistent with average expectation. The unit can and will last forever, as there really aren't any wear parts inside. The only problems to be had is coking - which basically is carbon deposits blocking the flow of oil, which then goes into the exhaust and smokes. Most turbo rebuilds only have some guy poking the carbon out...

However there were a few Saabs produced around 1999-2001 that had troublesome turbos that tend to start smoking around the 80-100k miles mark. But everything else is safe!

If you have a Saab Turbo, always use a synthetic motor oil, or change the oil frequently (preferably both). If you have a 9-3 or 9-5, do both definately, as there are some sludging problems reported (usually from not changing oil properly) and as well as these turbo issues. If you change your oil frequently you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I'm pretty sure all SAAB turbos since 1988 have been water cooled. I know the Vig is, and also that my 88 c900 had water cooled. And I've read on this page that they all were.

The advantage of that is that coking is much less likely. We all say we cool down our turbos before turning the car off, but people cheat and even I dont always have the time to sit in my car running and be stared at/confuse my passengers. Imagine what someone who doesnt even know they ahve a turbo car would do. These people do exist, and having a water cooled turbo helps save the car from it's previous owner at the very least.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
1987+ 9000 1988+ 900.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts