SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what you guys reccomend for a car running around 18-21psi, my stock 130k mile gate seems to be giving out and I will be replacing it soon
but the question is with what shall I replace it with???
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wastegate actuator. It seems Ive been having some boost problems above 17 psi, so Im looking into a new bypass valve and a new wastegate as mine is at its full adjustment and still not giving enough base boost. Just looking for some reccomendations.
John

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Forge seem to be highly regarded. You need to specify the strength of spring required, ie what peak boost you run.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My target boost is 20psi, I have the 24 # injectors, 2.8 bar fpr, exhaust cutout and a soon to be fmic. But right now the boost is just so unstable It will peak 19 drop to 15 go back to 16 or 17 then I will shift and it will drop to 10. My diagnoses was a weak wastegate spring or bypass valve(considering Im using stock components) but Ive been hearing alot of good things about forge.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Could be wastegate actuator. The aftermarket ones are not cheap though, so it might even be worth getting another stock one off a scrapyard and using that. The other thing I've seen before on another car is cracks in the inlet housing which would leak pressure away no matter how strong the spring was. I peak around 18.5 psi and I'm using the original stock wastegate, but it doesn't hold it - goes up to 1.25 bar, then drops to 1 bar, then 0.8 by 5000 rpm. If it held 1.25 bar up to redline the chances are I'd need better fuelling and/or chargecooling. Maybe your APC is backing off the boost due to a spike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah Im gonna trouble shoot it out, first a low mileage oem unit and a forge bypass valve. And if I see a measureable improvement I may stick around with that unless I feel a forge would suit me better. Hopefully dont have a crack in the wastegate flapper door itself, that would suck.
John

·
Banned
637 Posts
Poor man's "performance" Wastegate actuator consists of an OEM one with the addition of one or 2 Hardware store 'Helper' springs cleverly attached to give the tired oem one a helping hand.
ATime proven bodge .. but it works and is almost free :)
But you need to be adept enough to properly attach them and to not overdo it..
which pretty well separates the men from the boys :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Basre said:
Poor man's "performance" Wastegate actuator consists of an OEM one with the addition of one or 2 Hardware store 'Helper' springs cleverly attached to give the tired oem one a helping hand.
ATime proven bodge .. but it works and is almost free :)
But you need to be adept enough to properly attach them and to not overdo it..
which pretty well separates the men from the boys :)
Hmm interesting more details plese.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts