SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a chance to buy a 96 9000 Aero. 210K.

The pros: C$2000 (about US$2140, God it's fun to say that!) Beautiful interior and exterior shape (rarely seen nicer). Air con blowing hard.

The cons: Turbo's gone. Head gasket's got a slight leak. A couple of electricals systems out (e.g., power locks).

I understand a Turbo replacement would be about C$1500 (is this right?). Gasket not unusual?

If so, a total of C$3500 still seems a fair deal.

Opinions all?

Much appreciated,

Arlo

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Failed turbo is not common. I wonder what could be up.

A head gasket would make me walk away unless perhaps there is just a bit of bubbling in the coolant and the oil/water has not mixed. Perhap a small oil il in the coolant; however, if water is in the oil away I would go.

Get a turbo off e-bay/junk yard and put it in yourself, it is not rocket science

Lots of resources on here to help you along your way. Price seems a bit high for a car in need of serious repair. Watch out for rust!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I agree with Arlo about the price. It seems high with all the work to be done and the "surprises" that you will discover after you begin the repair process. I'd say between $800-1000. Wait until the price comes down and winter is closer (need a place to plow/shovel snow). Then offer $800.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gents - I agree.

Although a turbo may be not too expensive, I'm worried about why it's gone and what else might turn up too - despite the beautiful cosmetic condition. Had another look at the oil leak; that actually seems very minor.

The vendor won't take less than $1700 - what he paid for it (I think he's flipping it). So I think I'm still looking.

Cheers,

Arlo

·
Registered
803 Posts
You can get a turbo from a wrecked or junked car for much cheaper than anywhere else, and the headgasket leak you're talking about is just some oil seepage from the front corner, right? Retorque the head and it'll go away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the gasket's seeping just a little. Will retorqueify.

Re: the turbo - found a rebuilt Garrett T25 on eBay for something like $50. Will see if I can snag.

Thanks all, Arlo

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
If it is aero and stick, you don't want garret, you want mitsu T4 i think...

klim

·
Registered
803 Posts
The Garrett unit bolts right in. You might be down a couple of ponies, but it'll run just fine until you're able to find a TD-04. At least it'll let you drive the thing.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Cliche` said:
The Garrett unit bolts right in. You might be down a couple of ponies, but it'll run just fine until you're able to find a TD-04. At least it'll let you drive the thing.
The flange bolt pattern is the same, but are all the oil and water lines the same as well? Or would he have to get the garret oil/water lines too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts