• Factory / Stock

Votes: 6 11.3%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys!

I got an unexpected amount of responses to my previous poll on tinted taillights: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171913

In the process a few people have suggested to paint the front chrome and I am interested in your opinions on this subject too:)

I have done my best in Photoshop (give me a break as I'm a novice at that) to create 3 possible paint options for the front chrome. Please, do say what you think.

Also, I do need your thoughts on whether to use metallic or mate finish paint for this job.

Thanks, Gene

Option A:

Option B:

Option C:

and the Original just in case:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I was perfectly happy with my 9-5, still am, but you are giving me pause.

My suggestion, paint all of the trim black metalic finish, so the trim looks just like your door handles, mirrors, rest of the car etc... Very cool I have thought about doing it. Would love to see pics when you are done with whatever your choice is.

Good luck

·
Registered
707 Posts
The problem with this sort of question (whether it be grille or wheels) is that it's always presented as see-saw choice between stock (typically chrome or silver) and black.
More nuance please (beyond your 'c' [stock] option). I know it makes for a more complicated job. But God is in the Details!

Case in point: Turbo X. There's a subtle (certainly noticeable) difference between the stock Aero Front (Silver outlining) and the 'Titanium' colour which frames the front of the X. To my mind there's no comparison (unless you've got a Silver Aero). By no means is the scheme on the factory X perfect though (I would have gone a shade darker).

Alternatively, 'All Black' erases the framing completely. I think it's overdone. You lose the detail.

Love to see a photoshop that captures this Other Way.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem with this sort of question (whether it be grille or wheels) is that it's always presented as see-saw choice between stock (typically chrome or silver) and black.
More nuance please (beyond your 'c' [stock] option). I know it makes for a more complicated job. But God is in the Details!

Case in point: Turbo X. There's a subtle (certainly noticeable) difference between the stock Aero Front (Silver outlining) and the 'Titanium' colour which frames the front of the X. To my mind there's no comparison (unless you've got a Silver Aero). By no means is the scheme on the factory X perfect though (I would have gone a shade darker).

Alternatively, 'All Black' erases the framing completely. I think it's overdone. You lose the detail.

Love to see a photoshop that captures this Other Way.
It wasn't easy for me to create these three pics and you now you're asking me for more options?:) As I get better, I will attempt it.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
This was my impression as well. You've got to get some contrast in there somehow. Considered going flat black? Perhaps if done correctly, carbon fiber could provide an tasteful accent, except for the grille surround?

·
Registered
678 Posts
hmmm I saw this on a silver and It looked great, but on your black car, I think you should leave it Chrome it really pops!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hey Guys!

I got an unexpected amount of responses to my previous poll on tinted taillights: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171913

In the process a few people have suggested to paint the front chrome and I am interested in your opinions on this subject too:)

I have done my best in Photoshop (give me a break as I'm a novice at that) to create 3 possible paint options for the front chrome. Please, do say what you think.

Also, I do need your thoughts on whether to use metallic or mate finish paint for this job.

Thanks, Gene

Option A:

Hi
Now, this is not exactly what i saw in that griffin edition 9-5 that looked so great. The chromes around the center grill would be left unpainted (like you did here), but also the rest of the chrome around the rest of the grill. The grill continues on both sides of the front until the lights. Until there should be the chromes. And you would have that awesome tyical saab 3-port grill.
Do you understand which parts of the chrome i mean?
Really, try it this way. You will love it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi
Now, this is not exactly what i saw in that griffin edition 9-5 that looked so great. The chromes around the center grill would be left unpainted (like you did here), but also the rest of the chrome around the rest of the grill. The grill continues on both sides of the front until the lights. Until there should be the chromes. And you would have that awesome tyical saab 3-port grill.
Do you understand which parts of the chrome i mean?
Really, try it this way. You will love it.
No, not really( Do you have any photos by chance?

·
Registered
554 Posts
No, don´t have them.
Ok, you have the center grill. And you also have little small grilles between the center grill and both front lights.
Theres chrome around the front lights and around these small grilles, in just one piece. Here´s what im saying: paint only the part that is around the grill there.
Understand now?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, don´t have them.
Ok, you have the center grill. And you also have little small grilles between the center grill and both front lights.
Theres chrome around the front lights and around these small grilles, in just one piece. Here´s what im saying: paint only the part that is around the grill there.
Understand now?
No:):) You will have to use photoshop or paint and show me))))

·
Registered
777 Posts
It looks a lot better without the chrome, especially since it's a black car. I always thought the chrome on the new ones seemed out of place and look pretty dumb. At first I thought it was just tape around the lights because the car was new.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
hmmm this is a tough one... but if youre going to paint them, i think it would look awkward to only paint around the lights, so you should paint it all. just painting around the lights make them almost fade into the car, and i like the look of them popping out more.

id say you might want to try photoshopping with a darker shade of grey, even pushing black and see if you like it. it may not match the trim everywhere else but it doesnt hurt to experiment with it.

The front end already looks great though, so i definitely wouldnt have any regrets with just leaving it as is!

OH i just though of something else, try only painting the front grill chrome part, and leaving the lights chrome. see how that comes out!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
hmmm this is a tough one... but if youre going to paint them, i think it would look awkward to only paint around the lights, so you should paint it all. just painting around the lights make them almost fade into the car, and i like the look of them popping out more.

id say you might want to try photoshopping with a darker shade of grey, even pushing black and see if you like it. it may not match the trim everywhere else but it doesnt hurt to experiment with it.

The front end already looks great though, so i definitely wouldnt have any regrets with just leaving it as is!

OH i just though of something else, try only painting the front grill chrome part, and leaving the lights chrome. see how that comes out!
I didn't get the first part of your message, but I'll try the second one tomorrow:)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks, man) But, I think this looks unfinished on black color. If the car was silver then, maybe, but not on black. Again, it's a matter of personal taste.
In that photoshop it looks like s***. I do not like it either. :D
Between the lights and the small grilles, theres a vertical black plastic strip, I would paint it silver. That way it wouldnt look unfinished.

·
Registered
554 Posts
And what about swapping to the 2004-05 aero front?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In that photoshop it looks like s***. I do not like it either. :D
Between the lights and the small grilles, theres a vertical black plastic strip, I would paint it silver. That way it wouldnt look unfinished.
Oh, ok, now I see what you meant. Nah, that wouldn't be my style with this car.

As far as swapping in 04-05 Aero front - I don't think it could be easily done.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
If I do paint the front of my 06' it will be about the same shade silver as my rims or the silver trim on my dash. Which will look good on your car to but in a matte finish. Kind of like the Hirsch setup. Now if your car was a light color I would say gunmetal silver would be my choice. But your chrome looks good too.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts