SaabCentral Forums banner

Opening and cleaning headlight?

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  davide c 
#1 ·
One of my headlights is oxidized in the interior because the rubber backing wasn't replaced correctly after the previous owner had a bulb changed. The light cover is sealed to the rest of the object. How I can I remove the cover without damaging it or the headlight body? How can I properly clean it (will a regular headlight cleaning kit work/be safe on the interior)? How can I properly reseal it to the headlight body?

Thanks in advance. Car is an `06 9-3 2.0t SS if it makes any difference.

#4 ·
You may be better off finding a good pair of headlights. I am assuming you have halogen headlights and not HID. (The HID are even more non-disassemblable than the halogen.)

For one thing, resealing them can be tough, and the wrong sealant can off-gas and cloud the lens and reflector.

If the problem is that there's a film on the inside of the lens and reflector, you can try putting in some hot water and a drop of plain dishwashing soap (no "moisturizing" soaps, try sometthing like Sunlight) and vigorously swishing the stuff around. That can remove some of the film. Rinse thoroughly with distilled water and try to get all the water you can out of the lamp, so it doesn't leave spots.

If you do manage to get it open, it's easy enough to clean a film of gunk off the lens. It's a lot harder to deal with the reflector; the shiny stuff comes off just as easily as the gunk.

#5 ·
Not sure what kind of headlights you have, but I've seen people use magnets to clean the inside. You'll need to pull the bulb out and wrap a small magnet in a piece of microfiber towel. Put a dab of compound or plastic cleaner on the towel. Next, feed the magnet with the towel down into the lense, compound side down. You'll need a magnet of opposite polarity on the other side of the lense (outside) so that you can guide the magnet on the inside with the compound around in circular motions and remove the oxidation. You'll need to repeat the process with a dry microfiber piece on the inside to buff off the haze. There's a YouTube video out there somewhere on it. Seems like it would be worth trying before baking your headlights.

#7 ·
UV faded Lexan headlight lens is a Kompletly Different issue than a failed reflector coating. Lotsa DIY fixes for those lenses.. a few even work.. for a while.
IF the reflectors are shot... a Common SAAB problem, as Hella reflectors are PAINT and inevitably oxidize with age.
That reflector paint is Sooo fragile it can be readily rubbed of by cleaning attempts.. regardless of how careful.

One ..can.. reline the reflectors with self adhesive Chrome Mylar Once the headlight lens is removed for access.
Bit of a pain to effect, but it's doable and it's a durable "fix'.
Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.