SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't gotten pipes yet to make my newish FMIC work, but I did get the 7 piece clutch kit. The car isn't in a garage and it's getting rather cold most days now.
I'd like to do the clutch this weekend but I don't want to hurt the turbo...will it hurt it to run it _unconnected_ for roughly 1/4mi (friends garage location)?
Never had a turbo before...dunno what I can/can't do in regards to it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, no piping from the air filter to the turbo to the IC to the throttle body.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
It would be good to fit some kind of air-cleaner (original plumbing?), lawn tractor, kid next doors hot-rod honda, but you should be able to drive a quarter mile just fine wide open as long as you are not tailgating a rusty old dumptruck full of sand. every thing else is hooked up right?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
DanF. said:
Wouldn't it run/idle wicked wierd since the AMM would be out of the loop?
It would. Why wouldn't you do this, I mean the piping takes literally 3 minutes to install. If not just put old pipes and old IC :lol:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it'd be okay for the 1/4 mile to the garage, but I should do the smart thing and put the old intercooler back in?
Didn't want to do it (just because...no real reason I guess), but don't want to cause problems that are easy to avoid.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Listen... you need the AMM (air mass meter) connected by both the intake pipes, and the electronic harness for the Bosch FI system to make the car drive correctly... otherwise you will stall and buck and not rev. Car will be useless and dangerous to drive.

Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Just couple the amm to the throttle body, and put some cloth around the other end secured with a rubber band.

Once I drove 10 miles to my parents' house with an intake pipe (post turbo) completely unhooked. That was interesting, it involved a lot of coaxing the throttle, clogging up the interstate, and black smoke of death.

One interesting thing to try would be to floor it the whole way, doesn't lh ignore the AMM signal then and go into RPM-based fueling? :strokesbeard:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well..don't really need to rev as the drive is 80% down hill, 20ft of blacktop (crossing road), then the last 15% is 100% flat.

I'll just put the old intercooler back in, simpler/easier then attempting to push this across the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts