SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i heard that putting an open air intake can make your check engine light come on! I have a 1999 9-3 turbo that i wanted to get an intake for but i was wondering if any of you guys had this happen when you added your intake! Thanks for the Input!!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Since you have the T-5 ecu you will be fine putting a open intake filter on. the T-7 ecu tend to throw the codes because of the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've had an OAI for about a year in a T7 with a couple check engine lights, both for unrelated issues. I think you should be just fine...

·
Registered
956 Posts
myleshouston said:
Hey guys i heard that putting an open air intake can make your check engine light come on! I have a 1999 9-3 turbo that i wanted to get an intake for but i was wondering if any of you guys had this happen when you added your intake! Thanks for the Input!!!
you will be perfectly fine putting or making an intake for your car since its t5. have fun

·
Registered
774 Posts
myleshouston said:
Why do you want to put on a open air intake if I may ask?
Powerwise the stock intake with stock paper filter flows more then enough air for +400hp:roll:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know it won't add much if any power but i like the way they look in the engine bay and i like the way they sound!! Thats all, cheesy i know:lol:

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Warumono said:
Well I notice increase in acceleration when I installed my GS intake. Wasnt much but if its for sound it sounds awesome.
The sound makes it sound faster but it's not. Listen to what Pade is saying. He knows what he's talking about.

Regarding the sound, yes it's nice but you can get a better sound with the sport exhaust.

I guess people like the noise more than its practicality though. If you like it for the sound, go ahead and buy it but it won't add to the performance; the sport exhaust on the other hand would ;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
hkayssi said:
The sound makes it sound faster but it's not. Listen to what Pade is saying. He knows what he's talking about.

Regarding the sound, yes it's nice but you can get a better sound with the sport exhaust.

I guess people like the noise more than its practicality though. If you like it for the sound, go ahead and buy it but it won't add to the performance; the sport exhaust on the other hand would ;)
The sport exhaust will be necessary as well if you plan on a tune in the future... but you won't see much performance increases with the exhaust by itself, either. Get both! Great sound and a nice turbo whoooosh to go with it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
sleet said:
you will be perfectly fine putting or making an intake for your car since its t5. have fun
"Since it's a T5" is irrelevant. TONS of people put an OAI on their T7 cars without problems. Gotta represent the T7, yo.

·
Registered
956 Posts
slspf2 said:
"Since it's a T5" is irrelevant. TONS of people put an OAI on their T7 cars without problems. Gotta represent the T7, yo.
right but im just saying with t5 you could disconnect and not have an intake pipe with filter on and all and it would not throw any codes. try that with your t7. lol:lol: seriously though i was just saying you can throw a pipe and filter on there whether you make it yourself or not and not have to worry about any cels really on a t5 where as on a t7 you gotta take more into respect on making an intake

·
Registered
428 Posts
sleet said:
right but im just saying with t5 you could disconnect and not have an intake pipe with filter on and all and it would not throw any codes. try that with your t7. lol:lol: seriously though i was just saying you can throw a pipe and filter on there whether you make it yourself or not and not have to worry about any cels really on a t5 where as on a t7 you gotta take more into respect on making an intake
Very true. Just trying to make myself feel better. I swear, if a ladybug smahes into my windshield the CEL will pop on.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It doesnt make it sound fast, it just sounds loader. I defiantly notice a difference, but I would have rather saved the money and use it on an intercooler.

·
Registered
774 Posts
myleshouston said:
i know it won't add much if any power but i like the way they look in the engine bay and i like the way they sound!! Thats all, cheesy i know:lol:
Okay, the sound is nice (if you are in to that) but remember that most of the open air kits out there are actually really bad performance-wise. I'm talking about the kits where the filter is located in the engine bay right next to the hot engine. Even with these so called heat shields you will probablyend up with much hotter intake temps then with the stock filter box.
IF you must put an open air intake, I would build it up myself and place the filter behind the foglight in the frontbumper. This way you will allow it to suck in cooler air and it hopefully won't give you negative performace gains.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It would be nice if AEM made one of their "cold" air intakes for our cars. I had one on my previous car and it was super nice and went right down into the fender. Someone in California should contact them to use thier car as a prototype

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Warumono said:
Well I notice increase in acceleration when I installed my GS intake. Wasnt much but if its for sound it sounds awesome.
I agree entirely, there was a bit of a difference in power, but the sound was and still is amazing.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
pade900 said:
Okay, the sound is nice (if you are in to that) but remember that most of the open air kits out there are actually really bad performance-wise. I'm talking about the kits where the filter is located in the engine bay right next to the hot engine. Even with these so called heat shields you will probablyend up with much hotter intake temps then with the stock filter box.
IF you must put an open air intake, I would build it up myself and place the filter behind the foglight in the frontbumper. This way you will allow it to suck in cooler air and it hopefully won't give you negative performace gains.
I agree with you on this, the temperature is a bit higher with the GS intake I have, when I did a test a while ago , there was a 41deg increase over the ambient temperature right next to my filter after only a 5 mi drive (a pretty hardcore drive). We all know that the difference between driving in 50deg and 90deg weather is huge.

I do think that the less restriction achieved by the open air still yields benefits, but I hate the extra heat, so I will be putting on a hood scoop of some form eventually, and wrapping my exhaust is on my to do list as well.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
pade900 said:
Why do you want to put on a open air intake if I may ask?
Powerwise the stock intake with stock paper filter flows more then enough air for +400hp:roll:

You should just put that in your signature. You must type that 5 times a week.

Ansyway, I had a great time with my GS OAI. It made neato noises, and the filter was washable. It was on my 2000 for over a year with no problems.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
9-3sleeper - good work with some actual measurements - to be honest I never knew it would be that bad:eek:
Palmer1980 - I'm glad you had a great time with your filter - I sure feel like I'm missing out on a whole world of fun there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts