SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys i want to get an open air intake for my 9-3 and i was wondering if genuine saab was the only place to get one or if there are other web sites that sell them? Let me know! Thanks Again!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
I just did my own

I have ran intake piping from the turbo housing all the way to my cone filter.
I got rid of the stock plastic piping and did a blow off.

Looks great and sounds great
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,901 Posts
I have the GS one, I like it because it comes with a very well fitting heat sheild that holds the MAF. As for the filter itself, it won't be any different from a K&N.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
i made my own

k&n high flow filter from autozone $40
some 3 inch tubing and rubber adapters from home depot $12

no heatshield but it gets the job done, im looking for ways to route more air to the airbox location
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
doorcheese said:
i made my own

k&n high flow filter from autozone $40
some 3 inch tubing and rubber adapters from home depot $12

no heatshield but it gets the job done, im looking for ways to route more air to the airbox location
heres my intake i made with some ducting i did to get cool air to the filter but yet keep the filter high and away from water.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
774 Posts
Forget the GS-intake and everything else where the filter is located in the engine bay next to the engine. You will only end up with hotter intake air than with the stock airbox and thus probably reduced performance.
But yes, tha allmighty sound will be there and that's the most important part, right:roll:

Second, the stock box with stock paper filter is good for aroun 450bhp at least, so why change it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
pade900 said:
Forget the GS-intake and everything else where the filter is located in the engine bay next to the engine. You will only end up with hotter intake air than with the stock airbox and thus probably reduced performance.
But yes, tha allmighty sound will be there and that's the most important part, right:roll:

Second, the stock box with stock paper filter is good for aroun 450bhp at least, so why change it?
Good to know, I was going to go buy this next. I already get plenty of turbo sound with my DP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
pade900 said:
Forget the GS-intake and everything else where the filter is located in the engine bay next to the engine. You will only end up with hotter intake air than with the stock airbox and thus probably reduced performance.
But yes, tha allmighty sound will be there and that's the most important part, right:roll:

Second, the stock box with stock paper filter is good for aroun 450bhp at least, so why change it?
reduced spool up time? i think sleet has a good setup

where does the ducting come out at the bottom? did you have to remove some plastic shrouding from the bottom?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
doorcheese said:
reduced spool up time? i think sleet has a good setup

where does the ducting come out at the bottom? did you have to remove some plastic shrouding from the bottom?
on my car as i thought all 94-1999 t5 ng900 og9-3's had a hole down under the headlight and then a square-ish hole in the plastic behind foglight. i will try to get better pictures sometime soon. i didnt have to remove anything. just routed the pipe from the bottom of the car little under the bumper and up to the hole by the headlight. took a little finess to get the pipe to fit in the hole under the headlight, and i poked a hole in the pipe to get a zip tie in it to secure it so it stays in place in the engine bay. i wont be able to take pictures of the hole by the headlight unless i take the intake and that pipe out so just have a look up under your headlight. it was there for the stock intake and thats why that hole is in the plastic at bottom.
--bottom line, i didnt remove anything at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,926 Posts
ParaMedic_Saab said:
I wouldnt touch a KN filter with a 20ft pole. But thats just me. Doesnt filter anything but large rodents and maybe stones....

Seriously....
C'mon....


The K&N 57i is $150 even on Ebay.
I'd get the GS one, unless you want it to be un-suspecting.
You can also do the panel-filter and upgraded 3" tube.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
G96nt said:
Seriously....
C'mon....


The K&N 57i is $150 even on Ebay.
I'd get the GS one, unless you want it to be un-suspecting.
You can also do the panel-filter and upgraded 3" tube.
Yes I am serious, KN doesnt filter well at all. As I have stated in many threads, I have the UOA to back it up. Everyone is welcome to use whatever filter, just my 0.02.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
ParaMedic_Saab said:
I wouldnt touch a KN filter with a 20ft pole. But thats just me. Doesnt filter anything but large rodents and maybe stones....
I'm trying not to be argumentative but...what?:confused:

I'm sure that K&N is just a multi-million dollar a year, race winning, time tested, dyno proven...SHAM.

Let's try to keep statements as factual as possible so as not to mislead the unsuspecting. :nono;

BTW, what the heck is UOA and where can I find this data backing this statement. I'd like to have a look-see.;)

D-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
David in Tallahassee said:
I'm trying not to be argumentative but...what?:confused:

I'm sure that K&N is just a multi-million dollar a year, race winning, time tested, dyno proven...SHAM.

Let's try to keep statements as factual as possible so as not to mislead the unsuspecting. :nono;

BTW, what the heck is UOA and where can I find this data backing this statement. I'd like to have a look-see.;)

D-
Factual basis ?> www.bobistheoilguy.com search KN

UOA = Used Oil Analysis. Search up saab oil analysis on that website and look for pre and post KN. See what the Labs think about KN and what they tell people.

KN do not filter well. Paper filters work best, like I said do whatever you want. I for one will never use a KN air filter as I have seen the Lab tests that prove they dont work.

As per your dyno proven results, why do you think you might gain 1 maybe 2 hp? because they dont filter.

go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and see what the general consensios is about them, the effects on oil, and the effects overall. If you still feel that their a good filter, more power to you.

Dont get caught up in all the marketing, just because you see it on tv, doesnt mean its good.

PS. Where is your factual evidence?
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top