SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read multiple long threads on this subject here and elsewhere that explain the pros/cons.

I currently have the K&N drop in filter on my 06 inside the stock airbox.

I plan on keeping that around in case I don't like an open air intake.

My question isn't about pros/cons, my question is, what do I need in order to make the open air intake for the 06-09 9-5?

I believe it is a 3" intake, so an AEM dry flow from Amazon like this should work, yes? Amazon.com: AEM 21-203DK 3" Inlet x 5" Element Dryflow Air Filter: Automotive

If that's the case, what do I need in order to attach it properly after removing the stock airbox?

My goal here if someone is willing to help me work through the questions is to have the filter hopefully a little above where it is currently located, and I still plan on fitting some kind of shield/plastic down where the bottom of the current filter box is to help prevent water splashing up. I'll probably get the water sock as well for it.

So what exactly is needed to attach the filter securely to the intake? I've seen the one that GenuineSaab sells, but I want a dry flow intake, so I really am interested in finding my own coupler if someone can assist on what that would be and from where.

·
Registered
888 Posts
If you are located in the US then I am pretty sure Genuine SAAB is your only source unless you want to pay someone to fabricate it or fab it up yourself. I was at a similar crossroads when I purchased my 06 and decided that the cost of the Genuine kit was worth the investment and the only one I could find stateside. I am also am a huge fan of K&N so it was a no brainer for me.

You could probably source an adapter at an auto parts store in the "ricer" section - I know Advanced and O’Reilly has them. Then make an angle bracket out of steel scrap and JB weld it or glue it to the tube. You need that support so the filter doesn’t flop around and wear a hole in itself because it sits very close to the fender. It won’t be as pretty but who cares – it is buried behind the fender. IMHO I would just buy the Genuine kit and then sell off the K&N filter to someone on here who needs to replace the one on their kit. That way you know it will work period. My K&N is also way bigger then that AEM you linked to.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i have the GS on my 07. fits fine. sounds good. i had to clip off some plastic pieces from the inside surface of the bumper because they were digging into the K&N however

1 - 5 of 5 Posts