SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi SC: so today I charged my AC up and had to remove my grille and headlight, so now I have an idea of what all I would have to remove to do an open air intake on my 01’ 9-5 aero, if anyone has a link to how to install and possibly how to make a splashguard for it, thank you

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Short answer: don't bother. Even the tuners who tune the cars up acknowledge that the intake and filter that Saab did is sufficient and you'll get nothing from it.

spend your money elsewhere

·
Registered
614 Posts
More sound is the only benefit, plus I think you can clean and reuse the quality ones

Don't buy K&N, turbo's don't like the oil that's in them. Get an AEM dry filter

·
Registered
88 Posts
More sound is the only benefit, plus I think you can clean and reuse the quality ones

Don't buy K&N, turbo's don't like the oil that's in them. Get an AEM dry filter
Problem isn't the turbo not liking the oil, it's the MAF sensor.

I run open filter on my 9-5, but I clean my MAF sensor as part of service with an air mass meter cleaning spray.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a link for a non oiled air filter? That would still make it an open air intake ? Or I would probably be alright going with the high flow filter ?

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
More sound is the only benefit, plus I think you can clean and reuse the quality ones.

I guess I'm in old geezer mode when I say that once upon a time I bought into the K&N hype, but now I just sit on my porch drinking beer and yelling at passers-by.

That there is no performance improvement is 100% likely. If you don't believe me, take a K&N filter, and a regular filter, go the the drag strip, and swap them over. I bet there's no difference.

As for "you can clean and reuse", I see plain old paper filters of good quality for under $15 CAD, this will be cheaper in the US. By the time you pay for a K&N and the cleaning kit (or how else you gonna clean it?) you will have paid more than for a lifetime supply of paper filters. And the paper filters will last longer, both in regular and severe service, than the K&N. So you get to drop that lovely 9-5 air filter bottom housing and clean your K&N. Or if it's an "open intake" so you can hear "whoosh whoosh", even more often.

Saab suggests that the air filter lasts 40,000 to 50,000 km. And I think that's pretty conservative for a lot of driving.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lmao you’re a funny dude all respect, I understand what’re saying, so skip the intake should I go to an upgraded ECU route instead? My 9-5 aero already does whoosh whoosh enough and from what you’re saying, it would just be not worth the hassle and TLC?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Lmao you’re a funny dude all respect, I understand what’re saying, so skip the intake should I go to an upgraded ECU route instead? My 9-5 aero already does whoosh whoosh enough and from what you’re saying, it would just be not worth the hassle and TLC?
If you want a little more noise go for it. Don't let anyone dissuade you from modding your car. If you just want a little more turbo spool noise you'll get some from the intake. It's been debated time and time again whether or not it's worth it to put an open intake on, but it's up to you to decide the benefits and trade offs.

If you are looking into actual performance mods though, a tune is the way to go. You'll get way more benefits from even just a "stage 1" tune than you will from any bolt on part.

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
If you want sound, buy this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-...off-Valve-Simulator-Whistler-XL-/301749098579
If you think that I am funny, so come here and we can drive my car (which has original air filter in original air filter box). If your car is faster than my car, I will buy you beer. If my car is faster...

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Mods are so subjective. Personally I don't care for any extra turbo sound and I don't think the aftermarket air filters do jack squat for performance. BUT, if you like that turbo sound, go for it! It's not going to hurt anything. You might need to clean your MAF a bit more frequently, but that's so easy to do. Can't you also buy an aftermarket blowoff valve that makes a bit more noise too?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mods are so subjective. Personally I don't care for any extra turbo sound and I don't think the aftermarket air filters do jack squat for performance. BUT, if you like that turbo sound, go for it! It's not going to hurt anything. You might need to clean your MAF a bit more frequently, but that's so easy to do. Can't you also buy an aftermarket blowoff valve that makes a bit more noise too?
I agree with the points you've made. You can get aftermarket recirculating blowoff valves and they'll give you more woosh noise when you let off throttle. If you want to hear the actual turbo itself then an intake will do that. An open exhaust will also give you more raw turbo sounds.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would consider a tune, I’m Just not too knowledged, do you have a link or thread how to come about getting the ecu upgraded to the even stage (1)one?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I guess I'm in old geezer mode when I say that once upon a time I bought into the K&N hype, but now I just sit on my porch drinking beer and yelling at passers-by.

That there is no performance improvement is 100% likely. If you don't believe me, take a K&N filter, and a regular filter, go the the drag strip, and swap them over. I bet there's no difference.

As for "you can clean and reuse", I see plain old paper filters of good quality for under $15 CAD, this will be cheaper in the US. By the time you pay for a K&N and the cleaning kit (or how else you gonna clean it?) you will have paid more than for a lifetime supply of paper filters. And the paper filters will last longer, both in regular and severe service, than the K&N. So you get to drop that lovely 9-5 air filter bottom housing and clean your K&N. Or if it's an "open intake" so you can hear "whoosh whoosh", even more often.

Saab suggests that the air filter lasts 40,000 to 50,000 km. And I think that's pretty conservative for a lot of driving.
What I meant is that you can clean and reuse the AEM dry filters, which cost around $50 and are open. I wouldn't bother cleaning a generic $15 filter that you put in the filter housing

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
There are numerous tuners for the T7 ECU, head over to the tuning forum (you are in the workshop forum) and they are active there. Brew City Boost, JZW, and even Eeuroparts.com sells them.

you need the "immobilizer" number from your car, it's written on the ECU. There are instructions on each of the web sites on how to find it, or if you have access to a Tech 2 you can get it from one of the screens on the ECU, it's called the "hardware number"

You send your VIN and immobilizer number to the tuner, they send you an ECU, you swap it out and send them your original ECU back. Or you can get one from a junkyard and send that one to them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts