SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a nice sunny day for a change! so i decided to change the oil on my car and while i was under it take out the turbo silencer, which was simple:D

Next i would change the oil, so got all the stuff ready and tryed to remove the sump plug:( i rounded the bloody end of the plug off, and now i am stuck as i dont have many tools.

I hope a garage can take the plug off ok;oops:

I dont have very good spanner skills, Does anyone think a garage will be able to do the job ok as the vice grips made a bit of a mess of the plug?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I had exactly the same problem when I first bought my car. My local garage took it off no problemo, and it's been easty to change my oil ever since.

You might want to buy a new sump plug and copper washer when you go to the mechanic.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Indeed! FWIW, I spent weeks struggling with mine, under the car ever spare moment, tapping, prodding etc. When I brought it to the shop they didn't even break a sweat and only charged me for an oil change! Definitely one of those jobs that a shop with a lift and air tools can take care of with almost no effort, vs. a ton of effort for we amatures squirming under our cars.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Yes, slowly, patiently and carefully over a couple weeks I rounded off the edges :D

In a minute, a certain MODERATOR from a warm climate will jump in and say you can get it off with big channel locks and/or a BMF hammer, which is true. However, IMHO, the effort required to do this far far exceeds the cost of getting the shop to take care of it this one time. Wimpy, I know, but really not worth doing yourself once you've got it rounded.

This is a common problem here in the US where we have oil change franchises staffed by ape armed 16 year olds.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I agree that any decent shop will be able to get it off. I would not mess with it if it is rounded off. Not with the space ramps give you to work. There are few substitutes for a lift.

I could never get the middle plug on the gearbox out, and plan to let a shop have go at it one of these days... I suspect they will have it out in less than 1/2 hour.

If the drain plug is overtightened a 6-point socket and a breaker bar or a ratchet with a long handle will work best to avoid rounding it off. Even then you may have to tap the handle with a mallet to get it loose. Short ratchets, and/or 12-point sockets just don't work well for this.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
When I first got my car, the thing was definitely put on by some mechanape. What I did was held the 6 point ratchet on there, and then kept tapping it with a rubber mallet. Eventually it came off. Although it does not seem like it, tapping with a mallet can do a much better job than you trying to "pull" on it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think garages put them on too tight, my car has got full Saab history and the time i try to do a self service......:x

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oil changed:D took the garage 30 mins:eek: tried even welding on a larger nut to the original, but with no joy. It eventually came off the old fashioned way..........hammer and chisel:cheesy:

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Excellent - and Congratulations, the next time should be easier. Start with a 6 sided socket though, just in case.

So, would you agree that the best solution to this problem for people who have it in the future is to give up early and take it to the garage? My feeling is that I paid the garage anyhow, and spent hours sweltering on my back and had to buy many implements of destruction.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I came across this problem when I was changing the oil in my girlfriend's honda. Luckily the lever for my floor jack comes in two sections (basically two hollow tubes). I just pulled one section off and placed the hollow tube over the end of the socket wrench. The extra leverage saved me from busting my knuckles and her oil pan. Leverage is the key as long as you know you have the right socket size.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts