SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
reposting...

So this weekend my speakers started popping and sounded distorted on both radio and cd. I turned off the radio drove home, (maybe 10 mins) let it site for a while (maybe an hour), went back out to my car started up, turned on the radio and on SID I got "OnStar Failure, contact service" and as a result have no radio/cd. So I shut off the car, tried again and got the wrench with time for service message on the SID. Disconnected the batter for a minute reconnected...bla bla...whatever...same thing.
I thought I read that someone else had this same issue but was unable to locate the post.
I called Saab of Troy for an appt, and have to wait till next week for them to even look at it.
I drive 70 miles + a day, so not having a radio is going to drive me up the wall.

I loaded up my ipaq w/some mp3's so at least I have some sound. (nerdy-ghetto setup).

Anyone have any input or past experience w/that issue?

Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
There was a software update for the EHU but I think it was for small audio noise (pops and clicks) and not what you are having which is a bit extreme. First thing they'll probably do is check the trouble codes and also check for software updates.

This shouldn't have anything to do with it but are you using Aux-in? I am.

I have seen the reliability go down with the stereo. I have the upgraded stereo system too! I have had a loud high pitched noise in which I had to shut it down - and recover. It was painful and the volume had no control over this. I wasn't using the Aux-in when this happened.

But nowadays the stereo always starts up at volume of zero. Regardless of anything including min volume setting. It works but its flaky. What I mean it works is that the clarity and usage is the same except for the quirks.

I think this is just the reliabilty of the Saab...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not have AUX in enabled. I was going to have the enable it, but I'm rethinking that now.

I haven't had any other pops or clicks etc...

One thing that may have impacted it is, a day earlier I did have the windows down about an inch and we got a spontaneous rain storm. I didn't have a chance to close the windows so the inside of the doors got a little wet. Nothing major, it wasn't drenched or anything.

Last night I checked all the fuses for Audio, and Onstar. They all appeared to be fine.

Man that is frustrating....My car is out of warranty so I'm just hoping that nothing major is messed up.

If it's software that's fine, but if it's hardware I may just end up replacing the head unit. Depending on the repair cost and time line.

I'm really surprised I'm the only one on the board that has had this issue. :confused:
Thanks for the input though. :D

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
This might be a longshot, but if your onstar box had a failure, and thr rest of the audio system conked out, your optical loop may be busted or out of whack.

All your audio bits & peices (amp/cd/EHU/onstar) are conencted via fiber optic. If one bit isn't sending or receiving the signal to the next, they all fail.
Moreover, I heard somewhere that if the optical cable gets kinked or bent too much, it will mess up data transmission, causing the same fault.

I couldn't begint to tell you where to start looking for soemthing like that though :confused:

If you had done the aux-install, I would have asked you if you bent the orange fiber optic cables going into the EHU too much, but that doesn't sound like the case.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm...Thanks for the input vis. I appreciate that.

Maybe tonight I'll remove some panels and see if I can trace some cables. That sounds like it could be a feasible culprit.

I have a 2.5 hr drive over the weekend and the thought of no aural entertainment is a little disheartening. :cry:

Great Scott! Maybe the Flux Capacitor isn't producing the full 1.21 gigawats.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
onstar malfuntion=no radio=$1674=kiss my a _ _

Well after the dealer quoted me a price of $1674 :eek: to replace the EHU that may or may not resolve the issue, I decided a nice new stereo deck cd/mp3 player would be nice. Has anyone replaced their head unit a 93ss yet? I'm guessing not many have.

I'm going to the stereo shop this weekend to see what they come up w/for me.

I'm wondering if this unit would fit where the stock radio is then just see about removing the cd player. That would make more room for the garmin gps anyway.
clarion: http://www.clarion.com/usa/products/2004_products/source_units/ADB340MP.html

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for me?? please.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts