SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2003 9-3 2.0T. When the car was purchased, I elected not to activate Onstar. Each time the car is started, a "OnStar Malfunction" notice displays on the head up dashboard display. Pressing the clear button removes the notice to display current info. Any suggestion on how to remove this so it doesnt occur each time the car is started?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'll second this question. The onstar malfunction message used to only come on when I was driving hard. Dealer tried to fix it under warrenty, but never completely went away. Lately, it is happening with more and more frequency. Just annoying.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The OnStar box from that model year, at least, is extremely unreliable. I had this happen four times over the four years I owned the car, and the last time, after the warranty expired, I chose not to fix it.

Here's how to disable the warning.

1. Disconnect (and optionally unbolt) the OnStar box from the underside of the rear parcel shelf.

2. Install a MOST loopback connector on the fiber-optic line that had been plugged in to the OnStar box.

You will now get the "NO ONSTAR" indicator but no error message.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
sbl said:
You will now get the "NO ONSTAR" indicator but no error message.
I did just as sbl described. I do not get the "NO ONSTAR" message. It was somewhat satisfying to remove this, even though it only weighs 1-2 lbs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also removed the box, but have the "NO ONSTAR" message. From time to time, the "Onstar malfunction" warning will come up, but it's infrequent.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I have not once received the "malfunction" error since installing the loopback connector, and it has been several months now. If you are not seeing the NO ONSTAR indicator perhaps your car has been set using TECH2 to believe that there is no OnStar box.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
sbl said:
If you are not seeing the NO ONSTAR indicator perhaps your car has been set using TECH2 to believe that there is no OnStar box.
Nope. Car had the OnStar unit and "no onstar" message at last dealer visit. I installed the loopback once my last warranty claim was filled. Haven't been to the dealer since.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Just curious here, but when my onstar box becomes useless later this year, will my SID tell me onstar malfunction everytime I start? If it will say that there is a malfunction all the time, I suppose this would be an easy/cheap fix for it!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Me! said:
Just curious here, but when my onstar box becomes useless later this year, will my SID tell me onstar malfunction everytime I start? If it will say that there is a malfunction all the time, I suppose this would be an easy/cheap fix for it!
It should just say No OnStar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts