SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what you guys think of Onstar, but I have expererienced nothing but problems with my system. First off, I live in Phoenix which isn't exactly a small town, and I probably get the "NO ONSTAR" indicator on my sid nearly half the time I am driving. When I confronted the people at Onstar about this they said it's simply a cell phone and you may experience drop outs or bad reception areas. I always get reception on my actual cell phone even when I am not receiving an Onstar signal. And when my Onstar actually works, I try to make a call and I get nothing but static. The static is so severe, you can't hold a conversation. I asked the dealership if they were aware of any reception problems in Phoenix, or if I possibly had a defective system and they said no. They turned it on and said "Looks like you get reception to me". They did no sort of real-life test where the car is actually moving or anything. Dealerships are worthless and so is Onstar

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
... in your experience.

OnStar, in our cars, uses the old analog cell phone system (AMPS). In many larger cities, AMPS service is poor as carriers build out their digital networks. The advantage of AMPS is that it works in more places than the digital network does, overall.

For me, I get OnStar coverage in places I don't get GSM coverage, but I do also have pockets of "NO ONSTAR" in an area where otherwise it works ok. I have no complaint about the audio quality of calls.

My dealer is quite good. Sorry to hear about yours.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Endless Nameless said:
...They did no sort of real-life test where the car is actually moving or anything. Dealerships are worthless and so is Onstar
Next time buy MB or BMW if you don't want like the "State of Independence" experience. :cheesy:

Seriously, I think you should escalate this problem with the dealer. If we don't make a stink with problems like this, the automakers will never do anything about it. I work for a big technology company and we often ship products where we know a feature doesn't work, with good intentions of providing free software upgrades later. The reality is that the customers often don't complain and even if they do, they quickly learn to live without it. Kinda sad.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I should follow up on it, I just never have to use Onstar because I always carry my cell phone. But I was on vacation in California last weekend and tried to exercise my 1 trial concierge phone call and couldn't even do that successfully. Everything was going smooth until static beyond belief and then the call dropped :(

It's kind of sad to know corporations ship items out and they know there are issues or defects. I guess it makes sense but still it's discouraging.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
OnStar drops out all the time in Atlanta. Once OnStar goes all digital all of us with OnStar in our cars will be carrying paperweights and unnecessary buttons on the dash. Sad.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i was going to sign up for onstar but was driving in Downtown Portland Oregon and called to set up the service and the call got staticy and dropped. Made my mind up for me right there.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
My biggest gripe that it is analog. If it was digital you could tie it to your Verizon account and it would be great.
According to SAAB area rep our ONstar boxes will NOT be upgraded. So it is dead weight.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I would even consider actually paying for OnStar if they agreed to upgrade the box in my car to digital so that I could switch to Verizon and use the phone with Verizon minutes - that would really salvage my ill will about how screwed up it is to have a full featured phone built into my car that is essentially worthless.

**** OnStar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts