Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
609 Posts
Unknown Hardware
Description: 2003 Saab 3-Sep
Seems as if it doesn't know. Let me guess, I'm sure the dealers have no idea either...

Anyone with an 04 or 05 get a different answer?

·
Registered
489 Posts
2004 'vert

Unknown Hardware.
Description: 2004 Saab 3-Sep

interesting that the "3-Sep" is on the other ones listed here as well.

until I get home and find out, I'm just hoping I have the upgradeable version.

Jaime

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
2004 Aero
3 - Sep
Unknown Hardware

Editorial comment:
At current pricing even if SAAB was listed as a car for which upgrades would be available, a 3 year contract would be at the very least $600 unless there's some sort of bulk discount. I'd rather not pay OnStar on more penny. I'd rather pay the > $1000 to replace OnStar with the GSM/Bluetooth box available in Europe so that all I'd need to do is put the SIM of my choice into the box in the trunk. This would allow me to use the car as it was originally designed and tell OnStar to take a flying leap. I use GSM/GPRS on a daily basis here in Atlanta. Cingular's coverage is very good and keeps getting better - I'm rarely without good signal. I don't understand why SAAB is not offering this kit in the US where people like me (and I'm sure there are others) would jump on it and they could make $$$ on the installs. Clueless.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
If you have an '03, odds are you have an analog system. I investigated this when Verizon and Onstar made a deal that could consolidate your Verizon minutes with Onstar. However, I was told that since I have analog system I could not participate in the program.

Oh well.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Do not confuse "analog system" with "analog/digital-upgradeable". The OnStar boxes in the SS operate on the analog system, but can be internally upgraded for digital. Until such upgrade is done, you can't take advantage of the Verizon minute-sharing.

OnStar does give pretty good discounts for long term renewals, and you can transfer the service to a new car if desired.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I suspect that this lookup page is for domestic GM brands only.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Unless something changed, I was told that the system in my '03 COULD NOT BE UPGRADED.

Maybe that's no longer true?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
JNGold said:
Unless something changed, I was told that the system in my '03 COULD NOT BE UPGRADED.

Maybe that's no longer true?
Can somebody push your "white dot" button and see what options you get or if you can get an Onstar operator on the line and ask them. Here is how to ID which system you by the options it gives you:

Step #1: Press the white-dot or phone button button"Ready" (If there is no white-dot or phone button, the vehicle has an analog-only system.)

Step #1: Press the white-dot or phone button"OnStar Ready"
Step #2: Say "Help"The system replies with up to 14 options, such as "Dial," "Call," "Directory," and "Virtual Advisor." system is Analog/Digital-Ready

Step #1: Press the white-dot or phone button"OnStar Ready"
Step #2: Say "Help"Along with other options, you hear one of these digital-specific options: "Advisor Playback," "Digit Dial" or "Digit Store." system is Dual-Mode (Analog/Digital)

Here is an interesting thread from Cadillac site:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac/topic/33960-1.html

·
Registered
489 Posts
very good thread - thx for the link.

I'm more convinced I have the Gen 5 in the Saab as the system does respond "Onstar Ready".

probably will have my sister-in-law push the button and ask the question just for curiosity sake.

Jaime

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Called SAABUSA - they cannot tell which unit I have. The guy said there is a recall on the ONSTAR - compain 15424 Anybody know what they do?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Same here:

Unknown Hardware VIN: YS3FXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Description: 2004 Saab 3-Sep

Who has known hardware? Or does on-star just not know Saab VIN's?
Anyway, maybe instead of an upgrade we can opt out, we just need a company who can do this, Sat. Radio's seem prime candidates, only if they could interface with the current stereo console so we wouldn't have to strip it all out or cut a hole. Dreaming...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am thinking that the main issue is with the Onstar box. If we can compare a digital unit with analog and see if the harness is the same, if it is not, we can alway splice one...Actual wiring in SAAB should be fine. Maybe a new antanna.....

Need to go to a junkyard and pull a newer onstar unit...

I think this is doable, just need access to wiring diagrams and part numbers and start comparing.......do we have anybody at a good dealer who 1)knows what they are doing and 2) willing to help ..... so far all dealers I have called in Chicago area have absolutely no clue!

·
Registered
25 Posts
johnc_22 said:
2004 Aero
3 - Sep
Unknown Hardware

Editorial comment:
At current pricing even if SAAB was listed as a car for which upgrades would be available, a 3 year contract would be at the very least $600 unless there's some sort of bulk discount. I'd rather not pay OnStar on more penny. I'd rather pay the > $1000 to replace OnStar with the GSM/Bluetooth box available in Europe so that all I'd need to do is put the SIM of my choice into the box in the trunk. This would allow me to use the car as it was originally designed and tell OnStar to take a flying leap. I use GSM/GPRS on a daily basis here in Atlanta. Cingular's coverage is very good and keeps getting better - I'm rarely without good signal. I don't understand why SAAB is not offering this kit in the US where people like me (and I'm sure there are others) would jump on it and they could make $$$ on the installs. Clueless.

Do you know where to get that GSM/Bluetooth box? is it gonna work with US market cars?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DT_saab said:
Do you know where to get that GSM/Bluetooth box? is it gonna work with US market cars?
There was a thread from a guy from Russia with an Aero who purchased a GSM box and some other parts in UK, had it shipped to Moscow and local dealer installed...now he got dual SIM capability. He said parts were $1400 + labor (cheap).
I PM's him to see if would send me a list of parts he had to buy.
If we get enough interest I am sure we can get one of fellow UK members to orgznaize a group buy at some UK dealer and get it shipped to US.

·
Registered
267 Posts
schernov said:
There was a thread from a guy from Russia with an Aero who purchased a GSM box and some other parts in UK, had it shipped to Moscow and local dealer installed...now he got dual SIM capability. He said parts were $1400 + labor (cheap).
I PM's him to see if would send me a list of parts he had to buy.
If we get enough interest I am sure we can get one of fellow UK members to orgznaize a group buy at some UK dealer and get it shipped to US.
Yikes, TEL2 is cool, but not $1400 cool

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I'm thinking the Etadyne TEL1 cable + bluetooth kit connected to EHU + a good bluetooth phone is the solution. I think I can do all that for less than $500 and I don't think it will require tech-II.I'll probably get the phone and a good earpiece first and see if I really need a h/f kit badly enough to deal with installing it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts