SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I didn't see any mention of suspension or brake up-grade and its still on standard 15" alloys, must be a nightmare to drive:eek:

·
Registered
803 Posts
saabkid37 said:
i fail to see how thats hacked up.

hes a friend of the maptun guys, had a build thread over on TSL. its a nice setup.
In addition to the totally stock suspension, there's a significant amount of rust on the car. It's hard to tell if it's serious or not, but come on, the rust would've been the first thing to be fixed if he had any pride in his work.
I saw no indication of new pistons, especially since that car was originally a light pressure turbo, and all the hoses and vacuum lines running every which way is just ugly. Too cluttered and busy looking, it would've only taken a few minutes to make it more aesthetically appealing.
He's also got some pictures on his "CarDomain" page showing a handful of bent valves after the engine went back in. Either the chain was worn out already and he didn't replace it, or everything just got slapped back together without the timing being checked. Regardless, both are stupid mistakes that should never happen.

I realize that I look a bit like an overly critical dick about this, and that it's his car and his time and money, but I just don't think either were spent wisely.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
well maybe you should talk to the guy then. the motor was built bottom up, and no pistons because all B234 motors whether having the r designation have equally strong pistons, but im sure you knew that. so in esence any stock 9000 motor is good to 500bhp without needing pistons.

i dont recall how, ut he bent a valve at high rpm's and went on to rebuild the motor.

those arent vac lines they are lines for a catch can, and sorry he doesnt meet your taste for hiding vac lines, to each his own right?

to my knowledge those arent pictures of the final setup regardless.

but im sure youve talked to him and discussed the setup at length??

oh thats right...i have....

edit: oh and find me a 9000 that doesnt have a rusted rear sway and rear axel housing.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Whys the hood crooked? and the bumper all scraped? No attempt to polish that stuff out before sale?

Theres a screw thingy missing on the DI

saabkid37 said:
edit: oh and find me a 9000 that doesnt have a rusted rear sway and rear axel housing.
You can come check out mind if u want :cool:, its got a little, but that axel looks like scrap from the titanic

Looks like he put time and money into parts of it, and gave it a quick wipe off / vacuume before the photos.... but

It appears to have been rather abused and not taken care of at all, like how a 16 year old may treat a 1997 dodge neon.
Little things here and there really show how an owner treats their car... Suggestion, dont purchase

Trig said:
I didn't see any mention of suspension or brake up-grade and its still on standard 15" alloys, must be a nightmare to drive:eek:
No kidding, look at all the scrapes and crooked hood :lol:, blad tires, or are those racing slicks? Im guessing close call with a telephone poll

But my point is, in my opinion its a wanna be sweet 9000 with an owner that doesnt care enough to to make it sweet... might have a sweet engine, but then its just a beater with a quick engine, you still look like your on welfare driving it around, and good luck controlling it with your foot too far down on the accelerator... Unless there are some handling mods that you failed to mention last time you tried defending this thing?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Loose 100bhp and add in LSD and complete handling upgrades and brakes instead and you have a proper (and much 'faster' car). This one is a novelty car heading for the nearest hedge. I can scare myself with the 340bhp so this looks horrid to drive.
Wouldnt touch with bargepole even if it does have a very nice turbo strapped to it. I suspect there are a lot if little nasty issues hidden in there.

For me, I'd ditch the car and take the turbo, downpipe, injectors and other bits and bobs of real value and put them on a well cared for car.

Maybe thats harsh but looks like a schoolboy play toy experiment with 100% focus on the engine and sod the rest. No thanks!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man, I've really caused alot of s**t talking by posting that. I just though it was cool that he spent the time to do all thoes mods, and yea, there is some rust, but its from Wisconsin, as in salty roads:roll:, and is 11 years old. I agree that he could have spent some more time cleaning it up, but as far as upgrading the breaks and suspention goes he just left something for the new owner to upgrade:lol: .

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
I did a lot of the same type engine mods on my ng900 2.3 motor, but one thing I would not have done is use the ng900 manifold on the 9k. That is a step in the wrong direction in my opinion. It moved the turbo too far out against the radiator where he had to flip the outlet up instead of having it facing down like other people.

He probably did that ng900 because it moves the turbo out and over a little bit, but I plan to just use a spacer from Nick and then I can keep the better flowing 9k manifold and get it away from the block enough to make a 3" dp all the way and have the acutator clear on the back side against the block.

I was not very impressed with this build or the car. Nothing against the guy or his car, just not what I would have done and the videos were horrible in my opinion... I wanted to see something besides second gear wheel spin and traffic driving... Get out on some open roads and show that that thang will do!

John

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
all that expense and he can't use the power generated because he hasn't got the suspension or brakes to handle it:nono; . At that level of tune an LSD is a necessity, I dread to think what changing direction must be like on standard running gear.
Is it the ultimate sleeper, all the go, but so well hidden it might as well not be there:confused: ?
All a bit pointless really, sorry.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
What block does he have? I understand before it was CS, not even close to aero. From what I was talking to maptun guys, there is difference in blocks between aeros and cse FPT. Apprently aeros have better oil supply. That's why they don't advise on going over 300hp on cse blocks. Aero ALL STOCK block can handle 500hp. With wossner pistons it can handle more then 600hp. But the point is that it is difference in the blocks themselves, not the internals. I am sort of pissed about it, because I had plans for my CSE, and now I don't know what to do. Porbably will just wait and save up to get a new racing block from maptun:((

So, unless you know what block it is, I would jump on it. Otherwise, that's a good deal, because that is the direction I want to go in, and fo that price, it is actually still good to buy that car, then just take the engine and the trans out and stick it into other car. The mods themselves will run twice the pirce he is selling it for...

Klim

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
mulik51 said:
What block does he have? I understand before it was CS, not even close to aero.
Same block, different accessories im pretty sure

CS when not turbo has a higher compression ratio, but after 1994 in america, CS's had light pressure turbos and the same compression ratio as the other model variations.

mulik51 said:
But the point is that it is difference in the blocks themselves, not the internals. I am sort of pissed about it, because I had plans for my CSE, and now I don't know what to do.
Go ahead and do it, theres people who take a CS and tune it to over 400
you'll be fine. Where did u learn this?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Well, that's what the maptun guys told me. And even if you look at their site, 1995 CSE only goes till stage 4. 1995 Aero goes till like stage 8 or something. The oil supply won't be sufficient as far as I understand. There is more oil passages or something like that in the aero block. I asked them, "Is it an actual block or the internals?" and they said that the actual block is different. questionThey told me to get an areo block, and then just stick pistons in it and i can enjoy garrett 40 somewhere in the future :D
I'll need to get that transmission of theirs first anyways, so, it is long time till Ill be talking about garrett 40, unless I win a lottery.:((

klim

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have to wonder how many of you guys have been in a 9000 with +300 hp? A 9000 is not a track day -car. In my opinion the right place for a powerful 9000 is a motorway, 60-xxx mph acceleration is the cars strength. A LSD is definitely needed in 0-60 mph & so acceleration, but still. At least in Finland many Saabs, especially 9000's & c900's are built "most bang for buck" in mind, this recipe is as simple as bolting a big turbo and assuring that engine gets enough fuel. The buyer of this car gets a ready platform for future upgrades filled with high quality parts, judging by information in the ad and cardomain, such as clutch, ic, exhaust, turbo and most of all a huge amount of work. Brakes & suspension seem to be upgrades this builder has left for the next owner.

I bet this car is a blast to drive in the right places. Outside the car seems to be somewhat of a "sleeper" so stock wheels & little rust is in order.

Edit: I haven't had any contact with the seller or the car so I don't have any better information than you. The build quality of this car is what defies lots of its value, this is a big question mark for me too.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I totally agree with that you cannot dismiss this car because it doesn't have any brake or suspension upgrades. Everyone has his own priorities, and this guy definitly decided to go for power. Me, myself, instead of getting aftermarket audio and wheels and stuff, I decided to go for stage 3. I bet if he would have unlimited amount of money the car would have the brakes and suspension upgrades.

However, as far as I know, if the car still has the stock CSE block, then it is supposetly a ticking bomb, and every time you floor it, it can blow up. If this is the case, then the next owner will need to take everything out, redo all the work. Now, the benefits of this car are not so clear cut. Now, if we speculate why would a person sell a car he spent so much time onto, the most probable would transmission problems. So, if his trans is about to go, and he has the CSE block, and if people at maptun are telling me the truth, then the benefits of this particular car a really shaky. ;)
Obviously, the best way to find out would be just to go and drive it. And see how it behaves.

Klim

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
mulik51 said:
Well, that's what the maptun guys told me. And even if you look at their site, 1995 CSE only goes till stage 4. 1995 Aero goes till like stage 8 or something. The oil supply won't be sufficient as far as I understand. There is more oil passages or something like that in the aero block. I asked them, "Is it an actual block or the internals?" and they said that the actual block is different. questionThey told me to get an areo block, and then just stick pistons in it and i can enjoy garrett 40 somewhere in the future :D
I'll need to get that transmission of theirs first anyways, so, it is long time till Ill be talking about garrett 40, unless I win a lottery.:((

klim
That does not make much sense and I had the cse and aero blocks torn down and did not see any differences and put some parts from one block in the other block, plus the ng900 94-98 is also the same block too and there are many, many 400bhp+ ng900's out there mine included! I pulled the pistons and rods out of a used aero block and put them in my ng900 block and they worked fine, same number of oil squirters, the heads are the same and I also put the set of stock main bearings from a cse on the aero crank. I am not buying that right now. From what I have seen, all the ng900 94-98 and all the 9000 94-98 blocks are all the same, the R is the turbo designation. I have 3 blocks in my garage, one cse, one ng900 and one aero and I have mixed the parts from all 3 to make one bottom end and put the ng900 head on the 2.3 set-up and it ran like stink!!!

John

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
What the hell then? Why did guys at maptun tell me to get an aero block?
The thing is that I am a newbe to saabs. and never had torn one down completely. So, I just wanted to warn people, because I thought I got f***ed, because I needed to get a new block. Apparently now I don't. And I was explicit with the guy on the phone, asked him if he is talking about the parts(like crank, pistons, rods, etc) or the actuall block. And he said that block itself was different. Maybe Ill give him another call...:confused:

Thanks though, you are giving me the thread of hope:))lol

Klim

1 - 20 of 28 Posts