SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so after about 5 or so hours of reading today, and shopping around online, I can't find a satisfactory answer about transmission fluids.

I've decided to use Dextron III as it's significantly cheaper, and thought I was going to get 17 quarts of good Valvoline MaxLife ATF for about $50 from advance Auto. But they decided they weren't going to honor the coupon because it was for a fluids purchase (DAMN!).

Seriously considering just going to Walmart and buying the cheapest Dextron III they have, is there anything seriously wrong with this, aside from it not being SAAB branded? Any bad experiences? Or is just about all DexIII created equal?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Alright, so after about 5 or so hours of reading today, and shopping around online, I can't find a satisfactory answer about transmission fluids.

I've decided to use Dextron III as it's significantly cheaper, and thought I was going to get 17 quarts of good Valvoline MaxLife ATF for about $50 from advance Auto. But they decided they weren't going to honor the coupon because it was for a fluids purchase (DAMN!).

Seriously considering just going to Walmart and buying the cheapest Dextron III they have, is there anything seriously wrong with this, aside from it not being SAAB branded? Any bad experiences? Or is just about all DexIII created equal?
I think any reputable brand is ok. Obviously dex III is only for the 4 speed trans and not the 5sp (that is Mobil 3309 or Toyota Type T-IV). ;ol;

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think any reputable brand is ok. Obviously dex III is only for the 4 speed trans and not the 5sp (that is Mobil 3309 or Toyota Type T-IV). ;ol;
For my 2003 Aero (5spd automatic) I just went to a Toyota parts dealer and bought the T-IV, bought a whole case of 12 1qt bottles.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,293 Posts
For my 2003 Aero (5spd automatic) I just went to a Toyota parts dealer and bought the T-IV, bought a whole case of 12 1qt bottles.

I second that. Have used the Toyota fluid for 40K now and have had no problems. 5-6.00 a qt. and it's the same as the Mobil.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Old ATF was BLACK BLACK BLACK!
I didn't get any pictures, but that stuff was nasty. I put the walmart stuff in there, and she's already shifting like a brand new car, need to do the other 2 phases of the change still, but I'm pleased so far.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What about royal purple? I won a case in a raffle years back and put it in my Titan and got some good improvement in MPGs, it shifted great and trans temps no longer went up at all over normal while towing (I used to tow around a dump trailer 9,000lbs and rock buggy, 6,000Lbs, all the time). Is there any anything wrong with running it in the 4spd??

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
I second that. Have used the Toyota fluid for 40K now and have had no problems. 5-6.00 a qt. and it's the same as the Mobil.
For the 5-speed auto:

$6.22/quart from Toyota south of Cleveland. No case pricing. I'll be ordering 3309 online instead. One guy on Saabnet is using Eneos with good results. But it is $50/6 quarts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For the 5-speed auto:

$6.22/quart from Toyota south of Cleveland. No case pricing. I'll be ordering 3309 online instead. One guy on Saabnet is using Eneos with good results. But it is $50/6 quarts.
That is exactly what I paid for the case of 12, $6.22/Qt. Not bad for a DIY 60k service.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I paid a grand total of $62 for a case of 12 from my local Toyota dealer. So that's what, just barely over $5 a quart. Works for me! ;ol;

·
Registered
867 Posts
For the 5-speed auto:

I've read good reviews with the Enos ECO and I just took the plunge. Pricey, yes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I changed mine in my 03 9-3 and used Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF which is synthetic and compatible with it looks like a lot of cars. You can look it up on their website and it says it's compatible with Dextron VI as well as Toyota T, T-III, and T-IV. Two years and 40k miles with no problems.

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
I changed mine in my 03 9-3 and used Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF which is synthetic and compatible with it looks like a lot of cars. You can look it up on their website and it says it's compatible with Dextron VI as well as Toyota T, T-III, and T-IV. Two years and 40k miles with no problems.
Just switched an 04 and 03 over to this stuff. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I also agree - I have been using Toyota for the past year (20k+ miles) and it is easy to obtain and no problems (and not a horrible cost).

Plus, it's fun to go into a Toyota dealer and at the parts counter have the guy ask what kind of car it is for, and when you tell him it's for a Saab they look at you cross-eyed. I even had the one guy try to tell me "ok, it's your car"... to which I asked him, "it's all made by one of the same petroleum companies, right?" LOL.

·
Registered
215 Posts
What about royal purple? I won a case in a raffle years back and put it in my Titan and got some good improvement in MPGs, it shifted great and trans temps no longer went up at all over normal while towing (I used to tow around a dump trailer 9,000lbs and rock buggy, 6,000Lbs, all the time). Is there any anything wrong with running it in the 4spd??
FWIW, I used synthetic in mine and now have a slight leak where it's gone through the seals. I cannot say for sure that it's the synthetic fluid, but I also can't rule it out now.

I would recommend that you err on the side of caution and use the Saab approved. If something goes wrong at least you won't be asking yourself "Was it the fluid?"

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
FWIW, I used synthetic in mine and now have a slight leak where it's gone through the seals. I cannot say for sure that it's the synthetic fluid, but I also can't rule it out now.

I would recommend that you err on the side of caution and use the Saab approved. If something goes wrong at least you won't be asking yourself "Was it the fluid?"
;ol; +1,000

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
About 3,000 miles now on the 04. The Val Maxlife stuff works great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts