SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it seems I’ve got a bad front wheel bearing. Seems like passenger side. Car is at 150K so really nothing to complain about. I figure on doing all three bearings (hubs and center support) while I’m taking care of it as the parts are cheap enough. FAG units from rockauto at $112 each. Center support bearing and associated parts from esaabparts. So my big question of the day. I’ve ordered new Cardone 66-9242 drive shafts since I’ll be in there anyway. I know OEM units are really preferred way to go but they are just so expensive. At $50 each for the Cardones they seem worth the limited risk. I’ll be able to keep my original units and can always rebuild them if these Cardone units are a bust.
Thoughts on this strategy?

Also any tips on the center bearing?
Will be replacing driveshaft seals at transmission just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,956 Posts
the aftermarket units almost never are correct size. good luck. let us know if they work out.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I finally was able to get the right side completed. Between my crazy work schedule and the weather it was a bit longer than I expected. So the rundown:
I had the center support bearing pressed off and a new one on. The old bearing was still OK after 150K. Not sure I needed to replace it but it was inexpensive to do. The hardest part of doing this was changing the seal in the side of transmission. There is not much room to work. To get the new seal in was a chore. I wound up using a 4 ft piece of two inch PVC pipe and a block of wood to get it set in place. The first time I got it in the spring popped off the back side of seal. Fortunately I noticed it right away. Had to pull that seal and use the one intended for the drivers side. Can’t imagine what kind of damage that could have caused.
The new Cardone driveshaft fits perfectly and seems well made. The shaft diameter is smaller than the OEM. I don’t think it will cause any issues for me.
The FAG hub is the OEM and fit as expected.
I had to replace the lower control arm as the ball joint boot got torn somewhere along the way. I used OEM units.

I did use the OEM specified type of non metallic anti seize on the drive shaft to center support bearing connection. I also used it very sparingly on the drive shaft hub spline connection. I put it on the leading edge of the hub itself so any excess would get pushed out towards the nut end.

Old hub bearing was definitely pretty bad. The car is so quiet now it’s almost scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts