SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an elderly 900 T16s (1985) that has been rescued from standing 5 years in a barn.

The car would not start. As spark was ok from HT leads I know ignition is ok so must be fuel system. I suspected the fuel pump so replaced the fuel pump with another known good one (I have loads of them!). The car then fired up, but was mis-firing badly, when turned off it will not restart.
My thoughts are that the fuel is bad, causing the fuel pumps to block and also block the injectors.

The tank was about 1/8 full, and diluting the fuel with 10 litres of fresh has not helped.

Before I start draining the fuel tank and start replacing the fuel pump, filter and injectors I thought I would ask you guys if I am on the right track or do you have any other ideas?

Dan.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
do you know WHY it was left in a barn for 5 years...?

could it have been laid up with some issues, that have become worse during its perioud of "rest"?

have you checked that the fuel is actually getting through.... ? ie that the rail is getting fuel pressure....

G

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea why it was laid up. Bought car from a farmer who 'inherited' the car with the barn.

I have not checked the fuel pressure, but as the car fired up (poorly) with the replacement pump for a short while I assume there must be enough pressure?

I have plenty of FPRs so maybe I will try another and see what happens.

What happens to fuel that gets old? -does it become 'sticky' hence possibly clogging up the components or does it simply loose its ability to ignite?
And would 5 year old fuel be expected to be 'bad' or is that something that affects much older fuel?

Dan.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Old fuel often turns to a "varnish" that can gum up the works. I would replace the fuel filter after such a long rest, and add a good fuel system cleaner.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Ive used Techron with good results, I'ts worth a try before you start replacing things. I would bet on at least one vacuum leak after five years in a barn.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The fuel will be so badly 'off' after 5 years as to completely prevent the car from starting - my motorbike won't start if it is laid up for three months or more unless the float chambers are rinsed out with fresh fuel, and if its left for about 6 months the orange stuff that comes out doesn't even smell like petrol. Unleaded also has a much shorter best before date than the older fuels.

Change the fuel filter and try to rinse the fuel rail and try to flush some clean fuel through the lines, regulator and fuel rail before attempting to start it. Depending on how badly the injectors are glued up you may need to have them cleaned or replace with a set of known good second hand items

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well I have sorted the car now and it runs really well! Just need to replace the worn discs/pads/calipers, give it a wash & polish and its done.

I drained the tank dry, fitted another fuel pump and a new fuel filter and tried to start it - success, well sort of - the car fired up but was still running roughly. next I removed the fuel rail and injectors - what a mess they looked! A replacement set from one of my parts cars and it now runs a dream.
New plugs Ht leads and dizzy cap to make sure and the jobs a goodun. :cheesy:

That's another c900 saved and returned to the road :D

Dan.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
I got my vert which had been standing for 4 yrs(turbo problem,i was told, :nono; no it was'nt , alternator I found out later)but after getting it home i checked everything turned it over and no go ,turned over again tried to start, turned over again and of it went ,even on the old fuel. but apparently petrol looses it's RON value with age, so even without it gluing /gunging up it could well have been had it, i was probably lucky and just put some new petrol in after as well, but with all those spares you have:cheesy: , just a change this and that till it worked

1 - 12 of 12 Posts