SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just received my '02 9-3 convertible today. I bought it knowing it needs some work. We plan on using it as a summer toy but I drive a quad cab ram and look forward to driving something smaller once in a while.

It needs two front tires. It has the spare on one side and an egg on the other. I have my mind set on having a matching set but it has an off brand on there. So, I either order two or buy 4 locally. I am concerned about spending too much until I am sure there are no other issues. So, I cant really drive it right now...Thinking of picking up a couple used tires or maybe a set of snow tires so I can put a few miles on it this week.

The top would not lower. It was low on fluid. I searched for a few days and thought I tracked down a bottle of the GM fluid. When I went to pick it up, it was for the new cars. I stopped at NAPA and picked up chs 11s. The top now works. So, I need to determine where the leak is and how bad it is.

The fuel gauge doesn't work. I thought it was the sending unit but I found a receipt for a new fuel pump. Any way to test before I drop the tank?

I do want to drop the pan. I am freaked out about sludge. I didn't research it until after I bought the car.

I also want to fix the pixles on the SID and tune it up....

I am going to start a new post on the pan. I have some questions before I start.

Thanks in advance for everyone help!!!!

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
The first thing that I would do is fix the most important thing first: the tires. If yo are short on cash, look on eBay for the particular brand/size and buy used ones there. I've bought many used tires there for $25-$30/tire.

Then, was just the fuel pump or the entire fuel pump module changed? The fuel pump alone is less than $100 and the completer module (with the fuel level sensor) between $250-$350.

Finally, the vert is completely drivable with the top up. I would get everything else fixed before looking at that. New parts can be very expensive and rebuilt cylinders can be fairly cheap, if you can DIY... Ron

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am looking at a few options for the tires. I can buy two on ebay that would match the rear. There are also a couple on craigslist. I could always buy new...

It looks like he paid $299 for the fuel pump. It sounds lie he bought the module. Is the module in the tank? Could they have forgotten to connect the wire?

The top goes up and down. I see it is leaking on the passenger side. I can tackle that last.

I just found the pass rear wheel cylinder is frozen. I notice the rotor was rusty. It looks like the rear brakes may be the first project.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts