SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever since I got my Saab I've lived with not having a stereo for the simple fact that I cannot, for the life of me, find the main hookup to connect to the deck. I've searched in the deck slot, I've looked through the dash speaker holes, and now I've taken out the knee bolster as well. Still no luck.

Here's what plugs are available to me when I reach inside. These can't be the wires to use for the radio, right??

This black plug here is close to what I'm looking for. However this plug was zip-tied up next to the steering column and I assume it's an extra plug for an add on accessory as it didn't fit onto my harness adapter.

I'm really curious on why I'm having such a hard time finding the one plug I need? I've never wired a radio up before and I do own the Crutchfield harness adapter as well as the Bentley guide. The harness still looks factory and I see no evidence of it being cut. Oh well, at least while everything's out in the open I can address the vacuum leak I get when I turn the vent off...

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
What radio head unit was in there before? All those white plastic connectors are not OE/factory as well as the single spade(male) connectors hanging out.

·
Registered
780 Posts
all the stereos that I have on my cars are aftermarket and they have adapter to connect the original wiring to them.

the 87 does have the adapter but the cable are welded to the cables from the adapter so the original adapter must haven been removed prior the installation of the new connector.

I can take some picture of how it look like in my car today.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the last stereo that was in the car was an old Optimus cassette stereo. It was given to me with the car but it wasn't hooked up to it. I have a newer Pioneer cd deck I'm trying to install.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Those are the same plugs as mine, your car is too young, Saab was still using weird looms at that age I believe. I had to use a 9v battery to test to find the speakers (believe the ones on the left in your photo 4 pin plug) and then a multi meter to find a good ground, switched live and battery live. Like you, there was nothing else in my dash instead a couple of those ret T connectors (power) and the other 4 pin plug (speakers) - The green wire is the power antenna.

I remember my trouble arose in the fact that the original saab radio I had used a push button on off, therefore negating the need for a switched 12v. You will have to piggy back a line from somewhere else that uses a switched 12v to get your new head unit working properly. You just need to attach your antenna (green) to the switched 12v - the downside of not using stock is your antenna will be up every time the key is on, even if you're using the CD player. Whereas the stock setup as soon as you switched to CD changer it would lower the aerial -

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So is all the head unit wiring I need there but it's just the older type? Do I need to cut this harness to wire it up to the Crutchfield harness adapter? The last thing I want to do is cut the factory wiring but if it's the only choice I have to install a newer head unit then I will.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
So is all the head unit wiring I need there but it's just the older type? Do I need to cut this harness to wire it up to the Crutchfield harness adapter? The last thing I want to do is cut the factory wiring but if it's the only choice I have to install a newer head unit then I will.
You don't 'need' to cut it but it's easiest. otherwise you just use the wire adaptors (little clips that piggy back wires) and leave the plugs on there, so you can remove easily later and return to stock if you need. The problem as I said is the lack of a switched 12v (power only when ignition is switched to ACC. If you don't know what I'm talking about I can explain. The red wires should be battery 12v (constant supply of 12v regardless of ignition switch) You need a multi meter and a 9v battery to do this right.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have both of those. Remind me which key setting is acc because the marks on my ignition panel have worn off on my car :roll:. It's the setting just before starting it right?

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
I have both of those. Remind me which key setting is acc because the marks on my ignition panel have worn off on my car :roll:. It's the setting just before starting it right?
ACC is accessories, it should go \ | /

\ is off
| is accessories
/ is ignition (ignition lights on, the last part of the turn is the spring loaded part which engages the starter motor)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright well I got all the radio wires labeled thanks to that wiring chart. I'm curious on the speaker wiring colors as my front ones are gray wires so I'm lost on that bit.

Also I want to put my head unit in the lower slot on the center console. I know I will have to slice in some extra wire to make it longer but do I also need to disconnect the metal deck supporter that's in the main head unit location? Does it unscrew? It looks like it's welded into place. Also how would you attach it to the new spot in the lower center console?

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Alright well I got all the radio wires labeled thanks to that wiring chart. I'm curious on the speaker wiring colors as my front ones are gray wires so I'm lost on that bit.

Also I want to put my head unit in the lower slot on the center console. I know I will have to slice in some extra wire to make it longer but do I also need to disconnect the metal deck supporter that's in the main head unit location? Does it unscrew? It looks like it's welded into place. Also how would you attach it to the new spot in the lower center console?
Can't help you with cosmetics but you use a 9 volt battery to find the speakers, touch the wire ends onto the terminals, the speakers will crackle, it's also how you separate left from right. and get it correct the first time

·
Registered
689 Posts
You can also use the 9v battery to get the phasing of the wires correct. Once you have the speaker wires identified then connect the battery, one way will move the cone outwards and vice versa. Make sure all the appropriate leads are marked positive to ensure that all speakers are going the same direction. This will ensure you don't get bass cancellation.

Re the scotchlock clips, IME they are more trouble than they're worth, unreliable and prone to corrosion. Use solder or crimped connection unless you can find mating halves for the connectors in the Saab.

Re the Din slots, check if there is a seperate din holder in the dash slot and remove it according to it's retaining mechanism, usually some tabs bent over. If there is no seperate din holder in the slot then AFAIK it part of the dash.

You should be able to buy, if not supplied with your head unit a DIN slot for it. Different manufacturers have different ways of retaining the head unit in their din holders so you need the correct one or use some ingenuity.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts