SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so i want to give my 9000 a 2" lift, and put larger tires on it.

Reasons? I drive on dirt roads a lot where i may bottom out with stock clearance, i drive a lot right after / during bad snow storms to go skiing, and i think it looks sweet when i jack up the car a couple inches and look at it... and i want to get metal lettering and replace CSE with "rally" :cheesy:

So i need help creating a shopping list.

If i give the car a 2" lift, whats the largest tire size i can fit on there without rubbing?

What parts do i need and if you were doing this (people experienced with upgrading this area), what would you buy. Shocks? Spring? Struts?

Im going for suspension on the stiffer side because im thinking the larger tires will make up for a lot of the ride harshness.

Im really not experienced in this area in case u cant tell, but my friend who is is gunna help with with all of it. Anyone have specif parts / links to specific parts they would recommend for such applications?

2"s is enough for a noticable difference u think? Or should i go up to 3"?

Im wondering how this will affect my mileage / speed stuff cause i know just a 1" difference in my old tires was a 5 MPH reading diff at 65 mph, so like a tire 2 or 3"s larger would make a pretty large impact

·
Registered
803 Posts
You probably won't find much in the way of help anywhere, you've got to be the only person ever to try and lift a 9000.:lol:

·
Registered
594 Posts
I lifted a VW Jetta about 2-3" for same reasons. I was delivering papers on mostly dirt roads then.

For the rear, I made a bracket to lengthen my rear shock. It simply pivoted the rear axle beam further from the chassis.
For the front, it was a little more complicated. Since the struts were inserts, I lengthened the housing and put an spacer insert in the bottom to space the bottom of the strut cartridge up. I lengthened the housing by cutting the housing and welding it back together with a pipe section connecting the two. I think I used a scrap housing for the pipe section. I can take pics when I get home tonight if you'd like.

Handling was surprisingly good. It did not feel top heavy under cornering. I certainly didn't drive it any differently on the route. And it did a nice job of protecting itself when a car rear-ended us. They ended up with smashed out headlight & grill because my bumper went over the top of theirs. VW 1, Ford 0.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I am against the whole idea, but to stick to the topic, from my experienc with trucks, I am sure it is possible to find some spring spacers, usually they come as 2 inch. Just stick them in I say.

Klim

·
Registered
987 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to remove the front lower air-dam. (helps with approach angle) then fabricate a skidplate to protect the vital organs. One for the engine bay, and one for the fuel tank. A cover for the brake lines running along the bottom of the car should about have it buttoned up tight enough to pull the wheels off and use as a toboggan.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Now I just got this crazy idea for the front. Can't you just lower the lower part of the body, like the whole subframe. Then you won't have to deal with extreme CV joint angles and stuff. And add the 2 inch spring spacers. This is how proper lifts are done on any independent suspension trucks, the diff is lowered also.

Klim

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thinking of just adding spacers now for about a 2" lift and adding wheel spacers.

I'm mostly just going for a look and some re-assurance on the long camp road. Approach angle doesnt really matter.

I saw a c900 today with big tires and possible a 1-2" lift and ot looked soooo cool :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts