SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About a week ago it was raining heavily for a few days, I started to hear some squealing under the hood. I assumed it was due to the rain/water getting on the belts/pulleys and it would go away once the rain stopped. (If not I was going to replace the problem). Before I could get a chance to do that I had my serp belt break. Keep in mind I was driving on the highway in the slow lane at 60MPH, when all of a sudden I heard this very very loud whine, and then all of a sudden I saw the triangle light up along with all the other warning lights. I immediately put the car into neutral (and seeing as it was raining and I had my 1 year old daughter with me, let the car roll to the next exit. (Maybe a mile downhill) After I had gotten the car off the highway and pulled over to the side I opened the hood. I noticed the serp belt had been ripped into shreads and wrapped around a pulley or 2. So Im thinking to myself no big deal, Ill have it towed home and replace the belt tomorrow. Well due to money problems I wasnt able to get the parts for 3-4 days. When I finally got the parts I noticed the tensioner pulley had literally snapped off and there was jsut the bearing left. After replacing the tensioner pulley and serp belt I was hoping to turn the key and have it start right up. (It didnt). So basically the 3-4 days it sat out front of my house the battery was drained and needed to be replaced. It wasnt giving enough power to engage the relays. (they just kept clicking). I replaced battery and now I have no clue what to do next. The car makes a weird noise when I turn it over, doesnt sound like compression but is cranking, its More of a whining sound. I dont know any other problem that would cause this. Are there any wires grounds I could/should look for around the belt area that could have been damaged that would cause my car to turn over and not start? It hasnt been started in over a week now and Im beginning to feel this is hopeless.

I will be on the internet all day trying to find a remedy for this problem. Can anyone please send me a private message if they have a few minutes to discuss my problems...

Thanks so much!!!! The only lights that are on dashboard when I put the key in the on position are the triangle the oil and battery. Also the ACC will not work properly the blower turns on but I cannot change any of the settings on it.

There is a small antifreeze leak on the belt side of radiator near the bolt that mounts radiator to car. It has had a small leak since I bought the car, 4000 miles ago and never had any issues. Just topped it off once. the car has never over heated or had any signs of that. I really have no clue what to do.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELPPPPPPPPPPPP!

·
Registered
867 Posts
You may have jumped timing, and it may have damaged your valves/head.
If you overheated you may have fried your DICs.
Pull them and check for any signs of heat damage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pulled the DIC's no signs of heat damage. Plugs were still good as well.... WHAT THE FREAKING HELL IS GOING ON WITH MY CAR!!! Is there an easy way to tell if my timing belt is ****ed without taking off cover and looking inside. And is there anyway that blowby sludge could cause any of the problems I had recently?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The belt likely may have snapped some electrical wires. Two lines off the alternator
Would be a guess. I can't see how u have jumped timing. U need a code reader to start.
You may also have belt material wrapped around other pulleys

·
Registered
290 Posts
Can you post a video of your car cranking/not starting? If it sounds like something below, then you are most likely looking the timing belt...

Broken serp belt being sucked into timing via seized water pump is an unlikely event but I have seen it happened on this forum.

G

·
sounds like a timing belt issue. remove the 2 reverse torx on the timing cover at the top and tilt the plastic cover back a little to see the belt and its condition.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts