SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2005 9-3 Aero, 5-speed Automatic, B207R
74 Posts
I recommend you clean the engine and watch for where the oil comes from. I had a number of leaks so I started at the top of the engine and worked my way down.
Places I've had oil leaking and fixed in this order:
  • Vacuum pump. Identified by pooled oil on the rear top driver's side of engine. Replaced seals.
  • Power steering pump gasket and reservoir cap. Identified by oil leaking down oil cooler and onto transmission / engine mount, drivers side towards front. Replaced power steering pump with gasket / seal kit to fix.
  • oil level sensor. Identified by oil leaking down rear of oil sump (pan). I tried to resolve with dropping the sump and an o-ring I had on hand, but the o-ring didn't work (next time I'll order the suggested McMaster-Carr x shaped one). I temp sealed with RTV, and that took a few applications to get it to stop.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recommend you clean the engine and watch for where the oil comes from. I had a number of leaks so I started at the top of the engine and worked my way down.
Places I've had oil leaking and fixed in this order:
  • Vacuum pump. Identified by pooled oil on the rear top driver's side of engine. Replaced seals.
  • Power steering pump gasket and reservoir cap. Identified by oil leaking down oil cooler and onto transmission / engine mount, drivers side towards front. Replaced power steering pump with gasket / seal kit to fix.
  • oil level sensor. Identified by oil leaking down rear of oil sump (pan). I tried to resolve with dropping the sump and an o-ring I had on hand, but the o-ring didn't work (next time I'll order the suggested McMaster-Carr x shaped one). I temp sealed with RTV, and that took a few applications to get it to stop.
thank you

·
Registered
74 Posts
is there a good oil stop leak for a temporary fix
I'm not a fan of them, it's better to fix the problem's source. I'd put a pan or kitty litter under my car and make it a priority to chase the leaks.
The stop leak may stop the leak, but I don't know enough about them to trust they won't affect the rest of the engine.

Why don't you post where you see the oil leaking from / gathering? If it's an active drip, set a peice of cardboard under the engine. Then take a photo of the cardboard (while it's under your car) that shows the underside of the car and leak spots. Take another photo of just the cardboard once you remove it. There are a ton of knowledgeable people on this forum who may recognize what's leaking and how to fix.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not a fan of them, it's better to fix the problem's source. I'd put a pan or kitty litter under my car and make it a priority to chase the leaks.
The stop leak may stop the leak, but I don't know enough about them to trust they won't affect the rest of the engine.

Why don't you post where you see the oil leaking from / gathering? If it's an active drip, set a peice of cardboard under the engine. Then take a photo of the cardboard (while it's under your car) that shows the underside of the car and leak spots. Take another photo of just the cardboard once you remove it. There are a ton of knowledgeable people on this forum who may recognize what's leaking and how to fix.
its leaking from the right side of motor. for some reaosn i cannot upload anything on this site. i tried to see if anyone would personally message me on whatsapp to see if i could diagnose the problem with help

·
Registered
74 Posts
Where are you at - Missouri? Is the right side on the passenger side? I'm pretty sure that's where the pulleys and crankshaft are, so the leak may be coming from that area if its above the oil sump (pan). The vacuum and power steering are on the driver's side.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where are you at - Missouri? Is the right side on the passenger side? I'm pretty sure that's where the pulleys and crankshaft are, so the leak may be coming from that area if its above the oil sump (pan). The vacuum and power steering are on the driver's side.
yes im located in missouri. yes the right side is the passenger side. do you happen to also be in missouri?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm in the Springfield area, I have a Saab and work on it because car maintenance is expensive. My oldest has a couple Saabs as well, both which leak oil (the least of their problems) and he's working on.
Do you have basic tools (or access to them) to look at this? I'd start with lifting the front end, removing the passenger front wheel and fender liner, and then clean up the area around the belt and pulleys.
Does your car still have the ticking sound described in another of your posts?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts