SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and couldn't find this anywhere, so...

I have a 1990 2L Carlsson which has been running on non-systhetic 10-40 all its life, as far as I know (143k).
Should I replace this with the same when I give it an oil change or go to a semi or fully synthetic? Plus if I change, what grade should I go for?

Thanks in advance
Simon

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I switched my 86 turbo from Castrol 20W 50 and 10W40 (summer and winter respectively) to Castrol Syntec 5w 50 about four years ago with no problems I recommedn you stick to the original drain interval for the first two changes after switching so as to clean out the extra crud that synthetic will get at. Then go for once per year or 16,000 km changes and you shoudl be fine.

My 9000 has an oil cooled turbo and is still running the factory original part at 290,000 km.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
I use synthetics like Mobile 1 and they only last around 6k but they do make the negine quiet and that what counts for me.

There is no harm in sticking with the oil its had all its life, but always use a quality oil.

·
Registered
290 Posts
With 253,000 miles I changed to Castrol High Mileage oil 18 months ago and have had great results. Engine is quieter, runs cooler, MPG is up about 3mpg. I heartily recomend it.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
At 123K miles/198k kms I switched from dino oil to Castrol Syntec 5-50. Pretty good oil, but noticed it turned dark brown as fast as dino oil (not necessarily degradation in performance/protection, though). At C$9/liter it wasn't cheap neither, as I was changing every 7000kms. About 12,000kms ago I switched to Mobil 1 15-50. Not only is it cheaper (~ C$7/liter), but seems to give me better gas mileage and stays clear right to the next change, which is now 8000kms. I also noticed the car burned off a bit of the Castrol, maybe 1/2 quart between changes, whereas the M1 stays in the engine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I gotta go with Ken, though with a different weight... Mobil 1 has done wonders for the tappet tapping I was getting. One issue I have with it though is that it is exactly the same brass colour as the dipstick, which makes measurements more difficult than I would like. I use 10w30, but I am finding it a little slick (I have encountered some small drops on the pavement that I never got with regular oil) so I might have to thicken up a bit with a different weight; I just hope the tapping doesn't come back...

For what it's worth, I saw Mobil 1 10w30 at Superstore for $25/4.4L on the weekend; can't get much better than that for a synthetic.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Ah, only us Canadians know what "StupidStore" or "Crappy Tire" are ;)

At StupidStore I paid around C$7.75/liter of M1. The 4.4L jug is around C$29. Can't beat that !

Tomholius, Valvoline is fine but I can't say it's a name associated with good synthetics. There's also Royal Purple and another exclusive, distributor-only brand that's right up there as the best but I think they're quite expensive (C$10/liter or more in Canada ?) so I think Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec are your best bets.

elcid said:
I gotta go with Ken, though with a different weight... Mobil 1 has done wonders for the tappet tapping I was getting. One issue I have with it though is that it is exactly the same brass colour as the dipstick, which makes measurements more difficult than I would like. I use 10w30, but I am finding it a little slick (I have encountered some small drops on the pavement that I never got with regular oil) so I might have to thicken up a bit with a different weight; I just hope the tapping doesn't come back...

For what it's worth, I saw Mobil 1 10w30 at Superstore for $25/4.4L on the weekend; can't get much better than that for a synthetic.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
No its a good point.

Has anybody used the Canada Petrol company Fully Synthetic oil?

Its very cheap in the UK like £10 per gallon.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Since the Exxon/Mobil merger it appears that Exxon is about to cahs in on Mobil 1 's reputation. Note their new advertizing and new "grades" of "engine protection" now available. Check that bargain Mobil 1 carefully as Exxon is now selling less impressive oil under the Mobil 1 label.I suspect Castrol has done the same with its Syntec brand. The European made Syntec is a different formulation than the USA only brand which might be made anywhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts