SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine sells Amsoil, so for my oil change next week I'm going to buy from him. So I searched this wonderful site for a preferred oil weight... and found no straight answer. '03 9-5 V-6 w/flappy paddles. Some people said 5w-40, some said 0w-40. Some said same weight year round, others said to change it. Anyone want to offer input? Is there a difference in oil needs between the 6cyl and the 4cyl? Any other suggestions for weight?

-Thanks

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
My personal opinion:

If you have a top quality fully synthetic oil and change it frequently both those weights would be just fine ;)

What does it recommend in your handbook?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The manual states semi or fully synthetic 5w-30, 0w-30, 5w-40, and fully synthetic 0w-40, 0w-50. So.... 5 weights listed in the manual. That's not much of a help.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i have mobil 1 10w-40 also. I actually don't like it that well though, i'm switching back to redline synthetic when i can. Mobil 1 seems to have made the car noisier

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
The manual states semi or fully synthetic 5w-30, 0w-30, 5w-40, and fully synthetic 0w-40, 0w-50. So.... 5 weights listed in the manual. That's not much of a help.

Seems like we are about as useful :p

But we do agree that it should be good quality and changed often ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
my line of reasoning: earlier 9-5's had sludge issues THERFORE the manufactures "manual" recommendations are moot and can be tossed "to an extent".

I feel ACEA A3 minimum should be adhered to.

synthetic. absolutely.

weight? iirc newer 9-5's state 0w-40. (mobile 1 factory fill) I personally feel a quality synthetic "european formula" 5w-40 would work fine.

check out bobistheoilguy forums for more than you would ever want to know about oil and lubes.

(not taking away from here naturally, it is deffinately worthy of trickling over)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Come on! I'm sure you've read the many,many comments about the technical and Physical properties of this brand or that one. Buying oil has become very subjective; like deciding whether you're a boxer or brief wearer. There's a ton of things to contemplate with respect to your car other than what oil you're using. Listen to the words of experience. Quality brands changed at regular intervals ( If you've haven't inspected your sump, this is a perfect time to do it).

·
Registered
200 Posts
I was just doing some research about oil on the internet. I found another car club web site which had a complete review of oil weights, recomendations, explanations of the different types, etc...

If you would like the link PM me I will send it to you. I do not know the rules of this site fully and if they will let me post a response containg the web address of the link.

If they do just let me know and I will post for everyone to see.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
The trick is use a Fully Synthetic oil that your manual recommends, like 0w-30, but make sure that the oil meets ACEA A3/B3 and API SJ specs, (also in your manual, but frequently ignored).
The oil you choose like Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec, will usually say, "European Formula" or "Imported from Germany", something to that effect on the label. And above all, look for oil that's on sale or has some sort of rebate attached to the deal. Also, replace your drain plug washer, (or the entire drain plug) and use a real "Saab" Brand oil filter, no cheap Fram oil filters. If you feel real adventurous, you can run an engine flush like "Amsoil" flush, prior to your oil change.

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
The trick is use a Fully Synthetic oil that your manual recommends, like 0w-30, but make sure that the oil meets ACEA A3/B3 and API SJ specs, (also in your manual, but frequently ignored).
The oil you choose like Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec, will usually say, "European Formula" or "Imported from Germany", something to that effect on the label. And above all, look for oil that's on sale or has some sort of rebate attached to the deal. Also, replace your drain plug washer, (or the entire drain plug) and use a real "Saab" Brand oil filter, no cheap Fram oil filters. If you feel real adventurous, you can run an engine flush like "Amsoil" flush, prior to your oil change.

i though fram filters where good?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Can you sum it up?
you aint kidding.

:eek:

yet

:roll:

----------------------

synthetic

appropriate weight

make sense specs

realistic change intervals

this coming from a guy that is running a blend (m1 and redline 0w-40's) with intention of future uoa's for kicks n giggles...

no doctorate in chemistry needed.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So what I've come down to is Amsoil 0w-40 with a Napa Gold oil filter. Napa Gold because I've always run it in all of my cars, and it's what my Dad sells, lol.

When I asked the original question, I had been hoping for a majority of forum users to be using 1 thing.... kind of ridiculous to expect that. Everyone has their own preference and opinion. That's 1 of the things I enjoy about Saab. We're different, not mainstream, and I take great pride in that. No sheep or lemmings here. :cheesy:

-thanks guys

1 - 20 of 24 Posts