SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was recommended to me that I use 0W-40 Fully synthetic oil in my car (2002) by some on this forum and by a dealership. I went out and bought a 5 Litre jug of Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 0W-40. When I got home I looked at it more closely and underneath the main label it says, "Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil." Are there two types of 0W-40: one for gas engines and another for diesel engines??? Is it OK to use this one in my car?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Rotella T6 is very commonly used in the tuning crowd, especially with Subaru's and the like. It is considered an extremely good oil and will have absolutely no issues running in a gasoline engine. I am personally running it in my built engine

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
Things I look for in oil:
  • API car designation, will be something like SM or SN (second letter keeps going up as the specs evolve....so if you have SH oil, it's pretty old; somewhere on the internet there's going to be a timeline of spec changes)
  • ACEA A3/B3/B4--European spec, specific to full synthetic oils; the A3 is the car engine part
  • Various VW, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche long-life specifications
The Rotella is more of a diesel engine oil, but it's still SN.

Personally I prefer to get car engine oils, but the Rotella won't do any harm.

You can always go to A Review of Mineral and Synthetic Base Oils - Bob is the Oil Guy for information. If you have a few years to spare, you can browse the forums....

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
FWIW I have always used Mobil 1 0W-40 every 5K and have had good results. Does my anecdotal evidence prove anything? Nope! Any modern synthetic that meets the proper viscosity requirements is fine, IMHO.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I use Mobil 1 15-50 in my built 2000 Aero. I live in a warm climate. Best deal is Walmart internet order. Free shipping 2 days on $50 order. About $22 usd per 5 quart bottle.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
All of you should know that the 0 designation for weight is not to protect your engine so much as to protect your turbo. 15w in Florida is fine for the motor, less fine for the turbo. Mobil I 0/40 every 5000 and your motor and turbo will thank you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts