SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
What oil would be best for the saab ? I have a 2003 Saab 9-3. Mobil 1 ?Castro? Penzoil ?
In your locale Mobil1 or other 0W-40 would likely be your best bet for "average" use. Change every 5-7 thousand miles and you'll be fine. Use a good quality filter every change. I use an AC Delco PF-458G as it includes the filter cap and runs around $8.

Oil threads on car forums will have a lot of opinions, and can get a bit messy.

Mobil recently changed the formulation of their 0W-40 but it will be fine for most of us 9-3 owners regardless.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Yeeee aight thanks, so it would be better to use 0W-40 instead of 5W-30?
I think it takes care of the turbo best. If you prefer to use 5W-40 on the summer, go for it.

What weights do your manual recommend? Go with that.

BTW, in most areas of the country Walmart has Mobil 1 for under $25 for 5 quarts. Also, usually twice a year Mobil runs a $12 rebate. Usually it is announced here in the forum.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I truely believe that oils are such a personal preference and if you ask 10 people , you'll get 10 different answers.

But with that said , I've been running Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 for years in all our cars . I use it in both the engine and power steering :)

I still service my sons car who lives 4 hours away and if I service it at 5000 or 10000 there's no worries because the oil is that good ,, just as long as he keeps it topped off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What oil would be best for the saab ? I have a 2003 Saab 9-3. Mobil 1 ?Castro? Penzoil ?
I would say Mobil 1 is a solid choice - at Walmart bought a 5 qt 0W-40 for under $30, label said something about being for European cars.

Oil filters are available online as well - Mann Filter or Mahle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Liqui Moly

I've been reading a lot about Liqui Moly 5W 40 Full Synthetic, and people been saying it makes all the difference in their engines smooth and quiet. I'm giving it a try here shortly, and will give my opinion on it after awhile running it. Been using Mobil1 5W 30 High Mileage Synthetic. Trying to get rid of some lifter ticking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts