SaabCentral Forums banner

381 - 400 of 411 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
For 5k mi OCI you could really use just about any full syn. Keep in mind that Saab recommends an ACEA A3/B3 rated oil for better durability & protection.

Personally, I favor Mobil products simply because I believe (from several years of research) that they put the most R&D into their products to get the best product on the market. But that's just my bias & others favor other products for their own reasons.

I'd specifically recommend one of these for our Swedish turbos:

Mobil 1:
0W-40
5W-40
10W-40 High Mileage
10W-30 High Mileage
All of these meet ACEA A3/B3, so they provide a stronger film of oil & have better additive packages. (5W-40 actually meets ACEA E7, so it has an even more fortified additive package than A3/B3/B4.)

Amsoil 5W-40

Rotella T6 5W-40

There are other good oils out there, too.

My first choice would be 0W-40 as a year-round oil in a northern climate. Here in Northern CO we have summer highs around 100F & winter lows around 0F. When we had our '99 9-3 T5, 10k mi OCIs weren't a problem (especially once I added mid-OCI filter changes). Now that we have an '02 9-3 T7, I've been sticking with 5k mi OCIs due to the greater stress the T7 system places on the oil. Of course, I have Oil Compulsive Disorder :cheesy:, so I've been using M1 5W-40 in my 9-3 & 0W-40 in my n/a C900. As long as you keep it topped up to the 'Full' mark on the dipstick you should be fine with any of these oils in your climate.
I have similar condition in Milwaukee, WI. I have been using Mobile 1 syth 10w30 for ages in my NG900 SE 4cyl-Turbo... however now it's dedicated for winter use only and the M3 has taken over Spring/Summer/Fall use.

Suggestions for a cold weather oil? 5W40?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi Turbo 900,

My first recommendation for cold weather oil in your area would be Mobil 1 0W-40. But that would assume your car doesn't leak and/or burn (or otherwise consume) oil. If you're already losing oil in some way, then I'd suggest Mobil 1 5W-40, as it's a little more resistant to leaking & burning.

The Mobil 1 oils are Group IV (PAO) based, which means they have better cold weather startup properties than Group III (highly refined petroleum) based oils like Rotella T6.

I would guess that either Rotella T6 or Mobil 1 10W-40 High Mileage might respond very similarly in cold weather startup conditions. The cost for either of these two oils should be very close, since T6 comes in a 4qt jug & M1 HM comes in a 5qt jug.

The "Bob Is The Oil Guy" website should have tons of T6 UOAs.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
ACEA ratings

Some of the oils I see have ACEA A3/B3 and A3/B4 listed. Others (notably Castrol Edge) have only the A3/B4.

I tried to figure out from the ACEA ratings which oil would be superior. The B3 sounded like it might be better than B4, but not really sure. Anyone know the details about these ratings?

The other interesting thing is that the "European" long-life oils all seem to be API SL/SM. The "energy saving" 5W20 and the like were SN.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #385
Some of the oils I see have ACEA A3/B3 and A3/B4 listed. Others (notably Castrol Edge) have only the A3/B4.

I tried to figure out from the ACEA ratings which oil would be superior. The B3 sounded like it might be better than B4, but not really sure. Anyone know the details about these ratings?

The other interesting thing is that the "European" long-life oils all seem to be API SL/SM. The "energy saving" 5W20 and the like were SN.
From a practical standpoint, I really think any of the thicker SM or SN synths would function well. The specs have advanced so much since I started this thread...

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Thx for this great topic and comments!
Have anybody ever tried Valvoline SynPower 5W40 in a high mileage B205 engine? It looks to me very promising oil burning point of view after some Mobil 1, Shell and Total poducts.
Looking at the specs, I don't see how you can go wrong. ACEA A3/B4, and various Cherrmann long-life approvals. In Canada we get Syntec/Edge 5W40, with similar approvals, and my 2.3 non-turbo likes it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi guys, any advice for the oil I should use in 2003 9-3 Linear 2.0T, 130k miles? I'm in mild/hot San Diego climate. I have no idea what was there before.
That's the oil filter I'm up to use
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/31173/Engine-Oil-Filter-Insert-12605566/

I'm looking for the best engine reliability and life span don't care about performance.
Manual says: "the engine oil used must fulfil GM-LL-A 025"

·
Registered
105 Posts
For what it's worth, I have only used Rotella T Synth 5W40 Diesel Truck Oil in my 2001 Viggen since having a near-death sludge problem about 4 yrs ago. I have put on about 50k miles since. I live in MPLS and it gets hot and humid here. I had been using Saab-recommended (mostly), but still had a problem. I have had no issues with Rotella and changing every 3k miles religiously.

Mike

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Rotella T6 5W-40 > Mobil 1 0W-40, imo. I used to recommend Mobil 1 in turbo cars until I switched to Rotella T6 and ever since then, T6 is all I will ever recommend for a turbo car, gas or diesel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oil pressure warning

Have gotten a few oil pressure warnings over past six months, usually happens on a long trip, but dipstick reads fine. Today got the bad warning . Oil pressure low make safe stop. Dipstick fine. I had the oil changed two weeks ago. (Third time in a year). Only use what the label under the hood says to.
However it was 39 degrees in florida and warning was about a mile down the road. Could it have just been too cold or might it be a pump.
Can't find any threads on this. Thanks

·
Registered
897 Posts
Have gotten a few oil pressure warnings over past six months, usually happens on a long trip, but dipstick reads fine. Today got the bad warning . Oil pressure low make safe stop. Dipstick fine. I had the oil changed two weeks ago. (Third time in a year). Only use what the label under the hood says to.
However it was 39 degrees in florida and warning was about a mile down the road. Could it have just been too cold or might it be a pump.
Can't find any threads on this. Thanks
The first time it happened you should've dropped the pan and checked your pickup screen. Look in the stickies, you'll find several threads on sludge. You didnt say what car you have but its a known problem in the 99-03 9-5's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an 07 9-3 turbo. The warning has become very intermittent, so I suspected the sensor. I had My mechanic (not a Saab one, hard to find one nowadays) check the oil pressure with the warning on and off. Everything checks out good.
Now to figure out where the oil pressure sensor is and can I change it myself like the fuel pressure sensor.?
On another note , where is the fuel filter located and can I do it myself?

381 - 400 of 411 Posts