SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 411 Posts

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just added the wonderful write-up on dropping the oil pan to the links in the first post.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The link 'Dropping the Oil Pan ' results in "The Page Cannot be Displayed"...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Thank you, Brian

Now, if we can unearth PMI ..
Or, I hope he is now employed by GM and writing their manuals....

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
earthworm said:
Thank you, Brian

Now, if we can unearth PMI ..
Or, I hope he is now employed by GM and writing their manuals....
Lol. Well, sorry I haven't been around as much lately. Just had our third kid!:cheesy:

But if anyone has any general oil questions, feel free to ask them here!

·
Registered
49 Posts
this is a very helfpul thread. thank you.

the only thing it seems to be missing (and maybe i am completely blind) is:

a link to show you how to CHANGE the oil!!! :cheesy:

http://f64.nu/oilchange/

this how-to shows the oil being pumped out via the oil filler. if you want to do it 'the old-fashioned way' (via the oil drain plug), the drain plug is a 13mm hex bolt.

Rhino (plastic) ramps are the easiest way to access the drain plug and oil filter. i would NOT use metal ramps. they slide, and i have seen it first-hand. scary! :nono;

for anyone interested, a Fram PH3614 oil filter will work for (at least) a 99 9-3. and it has that cool grippy end on it! (flame suit on)

FRAM air filter is CA8099, also for 99 9-3.

helpful hint: i write the date and mileage on both the air and oil filter with a Sharpie before i install them.

happy oil changing!

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the addition. One note, though...Fram oil filters are a bad deal for the price. They are much more poorly made than filters such as Wal-Mart's Supertech which is a dollar or two cheaper.;)

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Hooly Crap! I bought the oil filter at the dealer the other day @ $14.99. Wal Mart Sells the Penzoil for our cars for $2.77 a pop. What's the deal here????? That's a big markup at the dealer. :( Are they really that much better or was I just ripped off? :confused: I hate buying anything at the dealer. I always feel ripped off :x

What are the best filters for our car for a reasonable price?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You got ripped off sorry to say.

Get a Napa Gold filter, one of the best filters in NA, made by WIX, and easy to get.

The only filter you should be paying 15$ for is a Amsoil EaO filter which last 35000 km.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
ParaMedic_Saab said:
You got ripped off sorry to say.

Get a Napa Gold filter, one of the best filters in NA, made by WIX, and easy to get.

The only filter you should be paying 15$ for is a Amsoil EaO filter which last 35000 km.
Thanks for the fast response. I know I got ripped off but wasn't sure which oil filters are high grade and which ones are low end sub standard filters. Didn't want to buy a substandard filter. I'll check for the NAPA Gold. Thanks for the good tip :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is probably a really stupid question 'but':D

I have a saab 900 xs 1995(hopefully in the right forum area)
2litre.

now can anyone tell me how the bejesus you read the oil stick??

mine has oil all the way to the top of the wierd dipstick end thingy(strange black THING!!:cheesy: :roll:

i see no markers on the THING either:evil:

HELP'PPPPPPPPPP:lol:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If its the same as mine, which it sounds like it is. The Rectangle part is the marker. The top of the rectangle before the little bulb is where full is. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you have access to a Dremel or something along those lines, gently sand the area that you read on the dipstick. The oil level will appear MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier to read.

1 - 20 of 411 Posts