SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok SAABY'S are most of using 0W-40? Does anyone switch to a different weight during the winter? Are you happy with 0W-40?:cheesy: Do you live in a wam climate or a cold climate? JUST CURRIOUS....

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
One blend for all year....

Mobil 1 5W/40 Turbo Diesel Truck and SUV year round. If I can't find that, I use Rotella T synthetic, also in the 5W/40 weight.

Yes, they are both marketed as diesel truck oils.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
MI-Roger said:
Mobil 1 5W/40 Turbo Diesel Truck and SUV year round. If I can't find that, I use Rotella T synthetic, also in the 5W/40 weight.

Yes, they are both marketed as diesel truck oils.
Same, I've actually stock piled enough TDT for my next 4 oil changes, they always seem to run out whenever I need to do an oil change that day. I go for Castrol Syntec 5W-40 European Formula when I can find TDT though, Shell synthetic didn't do well in a review of oils I saw.

Even though the manual says you can switch to a 50 weight in the summer, I see no need with the large oil cooler w/ thermostat. Now if I lived in Arizona instead of the north east I might do things a bit differently. :p

G

·
Penzoil Full Synth 5w30. Comes out a bit cleaner than mobil one and is cheaper by a few dollars. Switched to it after my shop suggested it and am very satisfied.

·
Registered
18 Posts
gto47 said:
Penzoil Full Synth 5w30. Comes out a bit cleaner than mobil one . . . Switched to it after my shop suggested it and am very satisfied.
Is that good or bad?? :confused: If the oil comes out cleaner, could it be leaving something (that ends up turning to sludge) behind?
Onree

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just changed my engine oil.

I filled Valvoline 5W-40, but since my cylinderhead just have been retightened I need to change it again.
Belive it or not, when I changed the oil, the "oil" that came out was chocolate milk colored:eek:
However I will change oil again in a few days, then it will be Valvoline 0W-40:D

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
gto47 said:
Penzoil Full Synth 5w30. Comes out a bit cleaner than mobil one and is cheaper by a few dollars. Switched to it after my shop suggested it and am very satisfied.
Careful with the 30 weights. The original oil pumps haven't been shown to hold spec pressure with 30 weight.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
So far, (145k km) Esso XD3 Synthetic 0W-30 year round, with OCI of 7500-10000km. I also used Castrol 0W-30 for some time. These are both such thick 30s (as measured in [email protected] deg C they are nearing the spec for 40) that I have no qualms about either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts