SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi There (Good Day),

Today, I attempted to remove and replace my 2004 Saab 9-5 Arc Wagon oil trap hose, which I’ve done before in 2017 with no problem. Well, this time the grey clips wouldn’t allow me to detach the hose and after trying continuously to release the clips, the nipple connector to the crankcase snapped off with the hose . I literally wanted to cry because I couldn’t believe it snapped off. I was finally able to extract the broken nipple connector part from the hose but it took forever and a day and a lot of composure (my distress resounded in the neighborhood—yes, that neighbor ).

Is the crankcase ventilation update kit the answer? If so, how time-consuming is the job?

Thank you,

Queen

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hose is not the issue, I’ve replaced that before. The connector on the crankcase broke—that is my issue.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Sorry I read that wrong. I’m assuming you have an older model. I have a 2006 and they changed where the hose connects on the valve cover, so there’s nothing that can really break on the valve cover itself. Although the stupid hose breaks if you look at it funny.

But for you, you’d need a new valve cover to truly fix the issue. I actually have a valve cover from a 2003 that I parted out. PM me if interested! We can work out a good deal.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I read that wrong. I’m assuming you have an older model. I have a 2006 and they changed where the hose connects on the valve cover, so there’s nothing that can really break on the valve cover itself. Although the stupid hose breaks if you look at it funny.

But for you, you’d need a new valve cover to truly fix the issue. I actually have a valve cover from a 2003 that I parted out. PM me if interested! We can work out a good deal.
I will PM you later, can this job be done from up top or do I have to go under? I have a 2004 Saab 9-5 Arc Wagon. Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil Trap Hose Crankcase Connector Broke Off

Does anyone have a write up on how to switch out the crankcase/valve cover? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Does anyone have a write up on how to switch out the crankcase/valve cover? Thanks.
https://youtu.be/bDRbFUpR-Sw

(This is a tutorial on replacing the valve cover gasket. I’d definitely replace the gasket too.)

And apparently my valve cover is no good. I forgot some bolts broke off in there, so you wouldn’t want it. But they’re all over eBay in the $80-$120 range.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Thanks Andy but the hose plug that snapped off is actually under and behind the valve cover. I’m not sure what it’s called but here’s a pic...
I'm not sure if I'm seeing in the pic what you're referring to, but are you referring to the oil trap where all of those hoses connect? The piece that broke off in your first pic looks like it could have come from the oil trap, which is bolted to the back of the engine block, and really hard to see and access from up top.

The oil trap can be replaced...but I've heard it's a MAJOR pain.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure if I'm seeing in the pic what you're referring to, but are you referring to the oil trap where all of those hoses connect? The piece that broke off in your first pic looks like it could have come from the oil trap, which is bolted to the back of the engine block, and really hard to see and access from up top.

The oil trap can be replaced...but I've heard it's a MAJOR pain.
Yes, this is it! What is this called? The hose was easy for me to replace when I did it the first time, but apparently there was an oil leak, and that probably made the plug connector snap off.

Do you have a write-up for replacing this part? And the name of the part?

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Yes, this is it! What is this called? The hose was easy for me to replace when I did it the first time, but apparently there was an oil leak, and that probably made the plug connector snap off.

Do you have a write-up for replacing this part? And the name of the part?

Thank you so much!
It's called the oil trap or oil separator. I don't have a write-up, nor have I seen a nice detailed tutorial on it. Not too many people have attempted it as far as I can tell. I believe it's a major pain. I am not even sure how to get to it. My gut tells me the best way would be to go underneath the car and remove the starter to get a better look at the thing, otherwise you'd be doing it completely blind from the top. I scraped up my hand really bad just replacing one hose on the back of that thing, so I can't imagine removing all the hoses (there are three or four that connect there) and removing the bolts and re-attaching all those hoses without being able to see what you're doing.

Good luck. If you do end up tackling it, do the Saab community a favor and post a video or some pictures of the process.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m going to check out the view from under because on top does look crazy complicated. If it’s too time-consuming I may have the dealer do it. They just quoted me $335 to do the job so I’m thinking it must not be too labor intensive. I’ll report back. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I believe that cam cover gasket replacement vid omitted to mention that there's a tightening sequence for the 16 bolts, as with a cylinder head. They're 11 lb/ft or 15 Nm.

Doug

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts