SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here goes my first post, going to be a rather long one though....

I've been the proud owner of a 1999 Saab 9-5SE for about two months now. I purchased the car with almost 100% confidence that it was a decent car. The owner had service records showing everything that had been done to the car since he owned it leading me to believe that in the end I was getting a good deal. After it was all said and done I purchased the vehicle with 96,200 miles on it.

Just recently, I was driving to the gym after work and noticed smoke coming from my back end, though couldn't tell whether it was white or blue smoke. Thinking that it was possibly a touch of bad gas or burnt oil I parked the car and went inside. About an hour later it was bothering me so much that I decided to take it for a ride. The car continued to smoke all the way home even after opening 'er up.

To make a long story short, I took it to the repair shop out here and they told me that the turbo was blown, but mentioned that the engine was pretty dirty. After speaking with Saab I took my vehicle to a dealer who tells my its an early sludge engine with the throttle body showing some wear and they don't know whether or not the turbo is blown.

The only problem with myself making a claim against Saab is the fact that I don't have service records prior to 55,000 miles, which are from the first owner. Though, the second owner has records stating that he had it changed every 3,000 mile on the money.

I guess what I'm asking in the end is do I have a legitimate chance against Saab and if I do what should I try to go after when I ask for a repairs, ie a new engine/turbo?

X

·
0 Posts
Hi and welcome to Saab Central. Sorry to hear about your car. My understanding on claiming from Saab is that you are going to have to get every single service record you can find. If for some reason you cant find or the car has missed a service I think you will be hard pressed to make a claim. Did you get a waranty when you bought the car.. :confused:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
If the car has been serviced by a Saab main dealer they will have the records in their database, if any service has been missed/not recorded then i'm afraid you're gonna be out of luck. Is the car in a shop? I'd be getting a flush done, then the pan dropped to have the bottom end/strainer cleaned out, to see if the damage is retrievable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, it was a private sale. If it's an "early" sludge engine is there a chance to save it? What would need to be done to prevent any further damage besides dropping the pan/cleaning the screen/checking the valve covers as I would like to hold onto this car for a while.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ask the dealer service to run the vin. if it was done by saab they can pull it up

i did that when i got my 2001 and they gave me a copy. Very handy and detailed.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Alb0806 said:
Unfortunately, it was a private sale. If it's an "early" sludge engine is there a chance to save it? What would need to be done to prevent any further damage besides dropping the pan/cleaning the screen/checking the valve covers as I would like to hold onto this car for a while.
If its retrievable, (fingers crossed), you will need to change the hoses associated with the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation), they are under the plastic moulding around the oil filler. Saab service intervals are every 12k or 12 months, we recommend an oil change every 6k or 6 months. Use a good quality FULLY synthetic oil, Mobil 1 , Saab's own gold top, Castrol RS, and authentic Saab filters. Check the PCV hoses the same time as you do an oil change, just to make sure there's no deterioration. While the pan is off, you might want to get the mechanic to check for signs of oil starvation on the bottom end.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the great responses guys....anything helps during this ordeal! Anyways, I was thinking that since indeed there was the sludge issue with my vehicle, then should've the oil light have appeared? Thus, since this didn't appear it is an issue with the manufacturer? I'm just looking for any angle I can take against Saab due to the fact that they are giving me a hard time.

Also, at what point will I find out that the engine is not salvagable without spending $3500-7500 to replace the engine. As I also don't want to start putting money into again without knowing I'm going to at least get something in return. Once again, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Oil light is pressure based, it tends to appear when oil pressure drops off scale (normally when pan totally clogged up), your's hasn't done this so thats good news of a sort. When the oil light does appear it tends to be bad news, a siezed block is not far away. :cry: Please don't all panic if your oil light comes on, its probably just a top up needed. Its when it comes on in conjunction with smoke from the exhaust you should worry. Any mechanic worth his salt will be able to tell you if there's any lasting damage to your engine, with any luck we've caught this in the bud. Even with work being needed on the bottom of the engine, it will still be less $ than a new block.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts