SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car starting to leak oil on sunday so I parked it up as my husband was out of town. I thought it was leaking from the oil pan plug but he has just looked at the car & traced the oil up to the head & thinks the head gasket has blown. :cry:

The car was running perfectly - no smoke, no noise & even today is still idling perfectly so does this seem like a head gasket or does anyone else have any suggestions?

Also the car has 118,000 miles on it so if we do take the head off is there anything else that should be done at the same time?

Kind regards,
Sue

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Just retorque the head to spec. At that mileage (95K+) the bolts tend to get loose. In many case this is enough to stop the leak unless the head gasket itself is damaged.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Have you checked for a layer of oil in the coolant? Is there a milky buildup on the oil dipstick? These are tell tale signs of a blown head gasket. Give this thread a look over on doing the bead bolt replacement. It may be all that needs to be done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, my husband retorqued the head & oil was still dripping out. It was difficult to tell where the oil originated as it was being flung around by the fan belt & by this time was pretty much everywhere - even running onto the inside of the passenger wheel etc.

Next thing hubbie tried was replacing the front crank seal (lip seal) by removing the passenger wheel, taking of the fan belt, removing the crank pulley & the seal is behind this. The seal was loose & came out very easily. Put new seal in & then put everything back.

So far it looks dry, just a few tiny drips on the ground probably leftover as there was so much oil underneath the car. I will drive the car to work tommorrow & update again.

I used to be in love with an old volvo that my husband absolutely hated. Today he said that he thinks Saabs are great cars & great to work on! So my next question is what manual would be the best to buy lol

In closing, I will say that I am very lucky to have a husband who is capable of working under the hood because I have friends at work whose husbands would be lost changing the oil!

Thanks for all the replies ;)
Sue

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
HI, if you have a 2002 model, you are have one of the potentially sludge-prone models. One side-effect of the PCV problems is an over-pressure condition inside the crankcase which can cause the seal on the timing chain cover to blow out-typically where the timing chain cover meets the head. If it does blow and does not stop when the final PCV update is installed, it will have to be removed and resealed.

This MAY be your problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts