SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently made room on my garage for my kids' 2005 Saab 9-3 Linear while they're at college and I make it a point to drive it a couple times a week so it doesn't rot. I've noticed that after a few days of sitting there is a consistent pattern of oil on the garage floor, surprisingly symmetrical, about 3 feet back from the front of the car. It seems that its two similar but distinct leaks (see photo - each leak is maybe 3-4" across and ~8" tall). I was thinking maybe axle seals leaking?? Thought I would throw it out there and see what superior minds think. Any responses would be appreciated. Thx!

P.S. Yes, I have a blue garage floor! : )

·
Registered
486 Posts
Common leakers are PS pump and brake vacuum pump. Check motor for oil on sides or back.

·
Super Moderator
19,285 Posts
It's a butterfly.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Common leakers are PS pump and brake vacuum pump. Check motor for oil on sides or back.
You are correct, however I replaced the PS pump 2 years ago and the vacuum pump seal and neither of them is currently leaking. It seems to be from something much lower, that's why I thought maybe axle seals. But I can't help but thing the pattern has to be a good clue ... esp. cause it always makes the same one - but maybe it's just a coincidence

·
Registered
486 Posts
There are a number of other possibilities lower down, depending where the oil's actually coming from. That may be different from where the oil's dripping. Timing cover, filter cannister, oil drain plug, oil pressure or level sensor, etc.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I personally think it's the car making sure you have the right personality to drive a Saab.
It could also be the oil pan gasket.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are a number of other possibilities lower down, depending where the oil's actually coming from. That may be different from where the oil's dripping. Timing cover, filter cannister, oil drain plug, oil pressure or level sensor, etc.
I should have added to my original post that I'd checked basically all of these things. The only one that was slightly inconclusive was the timing cover - it appears to "seep" a little, but it not clear that it actually leaks anything that would drip. I'm not excited about replacing the timing cover gasket but I might go ahead and do it this summer.

Having already replaced the PS pump gasket, this weekend I replaced the vacuum pump gasket and there was definitely fresh oil under the pump itself, though not much. After 48 hours, there's no longer any oil under the pump but there's still a small amount in roughly the same pattern on my garage floor. It could be residual from the pump job, i.e. cause a cup of oil comes out during the job and gets on everything, but only time will tell.

Thanks for the replies - esp. the smarta$$ ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts