SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SAAB 93 se turbo 1998. Could anybody let me know what grade and make of engine oil I require apart from saabs own, my mileage is 137,000 and I have not had my car that long. Secondly, the rear wash does not work properly, I have replaced the pump, have checked all the piping, but when I press the button the motor seems to be intermittent. Does anybody have any ideas.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Mobil One 10-30
but this is avcs( a most controversial subject)

Check the washer check valves, these are several.
I had one in the area of the front "bumper" member that leaked - took a little digging to find it and I hope I can find one at the yard..
part number is 44 80 661
part is located in the hood, under the insulation, I think..

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Hahahaha! what oil? might as well ask how long is a piece of string, you'll get different answers off everyone I'm sure.

OK you've a turbo, these run hot, very hot and are lubed' from the engine oil so don't skimp, good quality synthetic is about the only thing we can all agree on, so yes Mobil 1 0-40, Castrol RS 0-40 for example; Saab's own synthetic turbo oil is [so we've been told] a variant of Mobil 1 with a slightly lower hot viscosity and additional thermal tolerance built in: I think the thing to bear in mind is don't skimp and change frequently if you do a lot of short journeys or 'rag the old girl around' ;) .

Washer can be the no return valves as already alluded too or the pump itself; a pump can be bought from Halfords, and is a doddle to change follow this link

The valves can be obtained from www.partsforsaabs.com or dealers, they look like

and

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
My rear wash has become intermittent in it's operation too. Where exactly is the check valve for that one? I'm going to guess somewhere under the battery and by the pump because I see no sign of it on the visible portion of the hose up by the coolant resivour.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies, I think I'll stick with Saabs own oil because I think I can't go wrong with that one. As for the pump I'll have to dig deeper to find where all these valves are.
Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts