SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had this thought today ... and since we have had a few spark plug threads, I would post this question ...

I have been running 10W30 Mobil 1 synth for the last 6 to 8 months.
I had the oil pan replaced last fall (that's the topic of another thread).
I had my head gasket replaced and got the car back Dec 23.

My question is this ... is there any benefit to moving to a regular synthetic oil (like an 0W40)?

And if so, what would you move to?

Keep in mind that my car has 294,000 km's on her (about 185,000 miles) ...

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I've noticed that my car's engine is much quieter with 10w40 than it does with a 30 wt. I think I'll put some castrol 10w40 in for the summer. I think quieter must mean less wear. I think the non-synthetic will be fine for the summer for me.

I had bought some M1 0w40, but I think I'll hang on to it until winter since it gets very hot here in the summer.

·
12,576 Posts
When mine actually runs :roll: ...

I've been recently using a semi syth 10-40 Castrol Magnatec, very quite especially on start up [the car never has been since I bought it btw] so perhaps there is something in this 'clingy' castrol product.

One thing, here in the UK as mileage of vehicles climbs the reccomendation is to switch to a slightly heavier oil to help compensate for the engine 'loosening up', anyone care to add/comment on that.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
ragtopcav said:
One thing, here in the UK as mileage of vehicles climbs the reccomendation is to switch to a slightly heavier oil to help compensate for the engine 'loosening up'...
I've actually started drinking heavy beer for the same reason... ;)

·
12,576 Posts
Mark P said:
I've actually started drinking heavy beer for the same reason... ;)
Funny you should say that ;oops: :cheesy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts