SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2007 SAAB 9-3. The dealer did an oil change for me and they put in Mobil 1 5W-30. I went back to ask them why they didn't put in 0W-40 and they told me 5W-30 meets the GM LL A 025 spec. I'm not to sure about that because I can't find that anywhere other then there hand out they gave me.

I'm wondering if I will have to switch out my oil now or will I be fine?

Also, How do you clear the oil check so that it matches the recent oil change. They didn't know how to do that and told me to wait until it goes down to 0% and then I can hit the clear buttons.

It is at 18% now.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not real sure about the oil I just put 0W-40 AMSOIL signature series in my 2004 9.3 that I just bought and the sticker in the window from Walmart had 5W-30 on it so I think it would be fine but change it back the next time. But you need to definitely reset the service indicator now.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Let me be the first to say "Noooooooooooo, not another oil thread";)

Since you are new you have no way of knowing, but just do a search in this section of the forum and read up. Lots of long threads with opinions and even some facts thrown in.

First, don't panic, the 5W-30 will not blow up your engine. After reading the threads you can decide what to use the next time.

Not sure aobut your model year but the oil life is usally easy to reset. You go into settings on your dash system and you should be able to find the right section and then hit reset. If you don't find it someone with th esame year car will tell you. I assume you looked in your manual?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Not real sure about the oil I just put 0W-40 AMSOIL signature series in my 2004 9.3 that I just bought and the sticker in the window from Walmart had 5W-30 on it so I think it would be fine but change it back the next time. But you need to definitely reset the service indicator now.

BTW, to me the service indicator is more of a reminder and I bet most of us change it sooner. I'm not taling aobut changing every 3,000-5000 miles but sooner than the indicator. I have had 10,000 miles on a change and the service indicator can say like 40% life left. I would change oil at least twice a year, sooner if you drive a lot.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
GM LL A 025 is obsolete.... The New Spec is DEXOS1. Saab started using 5W30 well over a year ago in Europe, at the time there was no 5W30 in the US that met the GM LL A 025 Spec. There are many more Oils now that fall under DEXOS1 and in Various weights, I currently use a 10W30 because my mileage is getting up there. If your OLM is under 10% when you scroll through service info it will ask you if you want to reset... if it's not under 10, then advance the date a year..... exit, re enter then reset the date and it "Should" read 100%. Any decent synthetic in the proper range is sufficient, too many peeps get there panties in a bunch over Oil.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think you will be fine - I had thought that the manual said 5w30 or 0w40 depending on season - I always use 0w40 - but I think the big thing would be as long as its syn.

·
Registered
638 Posts
GM LL A 025 is obsolete.... The New Spec is DEXOS1. Saab started using 5W30 well over a year ago in Europe, at the time there was no 5W30 in the US that met the GM LL A 025 Spec. There are many more Oils now that fall under DEXOS1 and in Various weights, I currently use a 10W30 because my mileage is getting up there. If your OLM is under 10% when you scroll through service info it will ask you if you want to reset... if it's not under 10, then advance the date a year..... exit, re enter then reset the date and it "Should" read 100%. Any decent synthetic in the proper range is sufficient, too many peeps get there panties in a bunch over Oil.
Agreed. dexos1 is the new correct spec... Though for hard driving I prefer an ACEA A3 lube so the 0w-40 is a good choice...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Agreed. dexos1 is the new correct spec... Though for hard driving I prefer an ACEA A3 lube so the 0w-40 is a good choice...

Dexos1 is more geared towards fuel consumption, hence the 30 weight. If you're in warm climate/drive hard, stick to 0w40 ;ol;

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
i look at it this way,dexos wasn't around when our cars were built,oil spec for our cars was GM-LL-A-25,and that's the spec i'm going to carry on using.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
i look at it this way,dexos wasn't around when our cars were built,oil spec for our cars was GM-LL-A-25,and that's the spec i'm going to carry on using.
They don't seem to be putting that spec on the containers anymore..... and todays Oil is much improved over the old GM Spec'd Oil. the GM Oil blend had been modified 3 times over the last 10 years that I know of.... Originally it was a two year interval and 15K miles.... last I looked it was a one year interval and 10K miles...so what happened, they figured out it wasn't up to 15K and two years??? Or they just wanna sell more Oil??

I've used 0W30, 0W40, 5W30 and currently 10W40. I've Used Saab Turbo Oil, ELF, Mobil 1, and Pennzoil. I'm at 125K miles, have had no Oil related issues and don't foresee any :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Everyone

Zin I did check that setting and I can't get it to reset.

Jon I'll try your method out and see if it will work.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
ive been very happy with "German Castrol" 0w30. it a 30 that acts more like a 40, and posts fantastic UOAs. my car really seems to like it.
plus its a little cheaper than M1 or RP. ;ol;

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I've been running Mobil 1 0W-40 for the past 8 years or so, and haven't had any oil related issues in any of the Saabs.

Last month my oil change cost me $65 to do myself. Mobil 1 was ~$9 a quart. I think I'll be looking at cheaper alternatives for the next oil change.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I've been running Mobil 1 0W-40 for the past 8 years or so, and haven't had any oil related issues in any of the Saabs.

Last month my oil change cost me $65 to do myself. Mobil 1 was ~$9 a quart. I think I'll be looking at cheaper alternatives for the next oil change.
Autozone has mobil 1 on sale for $33 for a 5.1 qt jug with a Bosch filter. You could ask them if they would substitute another brand since Bosch doesn't make a filter for the 2.8. You'd have to buy another quart since you need 6, but you could potentially be out the door for around $40.

That said, I won't use anything but OEM filters. But if you're comfortable with a Fram or Delco filter, it could be a decent deal.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Autozone has mobil 1 on sale for $33 for a 5.1 qt jug with a Bosch filter. You could ask them if they would substitute another brand since Bosch doesn't make a filter for the 2.8. You'd have to buy another quart since you need 6, but you could potentially be out the door for around $40.

That said, I won't use anything but OEM filters. But if you're comfortable with a Fram or Delco filter, it could be a decent deal.
the Bosch filter is actually a Champion filter:nono;

of all the filters i have used, i found Purolator to be the best. Hengst to be the worst.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
the Bosch filter is actually a Champion filter:nono;

of all the filters i have used, i found Purolator to be the best. Hengst to be the worst.
2.8 and 2.0 use different filters, but in my opinion the Hengst was one of the best and the delco was the worst. Purolator was second worst (cheap, hard cardboard-like media and theyre made in china). But that's my experience, ymmv.

Edit: for my wife's minivan, I agree, purolators are one of the best.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
thats odd it says on the box Purolator is made in USA. but China will own America soon, so i guess its all the same :lol:

after 5k the Bulgarian made Hengst filters became distorted, almost like you half-crushed it in your hand. all the Hengst filters did this, but the Purolators looked very good at 5k. the media was still like new, just oily.

never tried K&N or Delco, but i steer clear of Champion (Bosch) and Fram.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think I'll be looking at cheaper alternatives for the next oil change.
I really don't understand why people would try to save money on oil changes. Compared to the cost of a engine gone *BANG*, what's a couple of hundred bucks every year?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts