SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to fix this, but thought that I should post my experience in case it helps someone else. My car previously had some very minor oil seepage from various points, but nothing to be concerned with. One day last week, oil started gushing out from behind the crankshaft pulley, to the tune of about two quarts in the course of one morning of running errands (about 30 miles or so)! I saw where it was coming from and assumed that the crankshaft seal had failed. When I tore into the job, the seal looked OK, but I replaced it anyway. No change. So, I dug deeper, which meant pulling off the oil pump cover. The O-ring had split, leading to a serious leak. I replaced the ring, put everything back together, and the car is fine. I'm just glad that it hadn't decided to fail when I was motoring away on the freeway somewhere, perhaps leading to some serious damage due to loss of oil.

I have been around for a while, but I have never seen a fixed-position O-ring fail suddenly like this before. Live and learn.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Wow! This is very oddly similar to my post... Did you read it? :lol:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oil pump leak

Leon said:
Wow! This is very oddly similar to my post... Did you read it? :lol:
I searched this forum for every combination of the words oil pump, leak, crankshaft, and seal that I could think of, but didn't find your post. I wish that I had; it would have been reassuring to know that I wasn't in totally uncharted territory. As it stands, it looks like we are both OK now. Nice pics, by the way. I will have to try to remember the camera the next time I tear into something.

·
Registered
619 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts