SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
The WIS/Haynes/Chilton work instructions for reassembling the oil pump in my '99 9-5 2.3 are pretty ambiguous. I was wondering if someone has photos or a better explanation as to how to reassemble the oil pump sun and ring gears and drive cog? All the info out there says to line up marks and have one facing out and one facing in etc. I am just trying to figure out how to install these 3 pieces correctly while I wait for the crank seal and cover seals to show up.
Thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Inner ring could only be assembled in one direction, otherwise it would not fit. The flange should face inside, not the mark.
The mark on the outer ring should be facing outside, in the end both marks should face outside.
From my understanding they could only be aligned in one single position of the crankshaft. WIS does not mention to align both of them, as during the rotation each tooth of the inner ring will touch each tooth of the outer ring.
Position of the inner ring to the crankshaft is fixed due to the flange. If you would like to align all three parts you have to turn the crankshaft.
The two marks will only align on the side where both parts do not touch each other, as one mark is on the bottom, one on the top of a tooth.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Inner ring could only be assembled in one direction, otherwise it would not fit. The flange should face inside, not the mark.
The mark on the outer ring should be facing outside, in the end both marks should face outside.
From my understanding they could only be aligned in one single position of the crankshaft. WIS does not mention to align both of them, as during the rotation each tooth of the inner ring will touch each tooth of the outer ring.
Position of the inner ring to the crankshaft is fixed due to the flange. If you would like to align all three parts you have to turn the crankshaft.
The two marks will only align on the side where both parts do not touch each other, as one mark is on the bottom, one on the top of a tooth.
Thank you for the link and the info thaistatos, it is greatly appreciated !! That helps immensely :D Have an exceptional evening !!

·
Registered
126 Posts
check to have the correct position and direction of the circlip. open end should be at 7 o clock position. the fase should face outside, otherwise you will get a terrible noise from the oil pump.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
check to have the correct position and direction of the circlip. open end should be at 7 o clock position. the fase should face outside, otherwise you will get a terrible noise from the oil pump.
When I was rebuilding the oil pump, the inner "gear" didn't have a mark on the front, it had a mark on the back. I lined up those.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
I have an inner gear and outer gear sitting on my desk, the original ones from an engine I redid a long time ago. I use them as paperweights.

The inner gear has no marks on it at all, either side.

And having really looked at these things I can't understand why the gears have marks on them at all, but have lined them up nonetheless. It's not like they have any kind of non-uniform shape.

·
Registered
409 Posts
While we're on the subject, has anyone found a source for a new OEM pump? I put the original one back in, the only thing I could find was Pro Parts, not doing that. Jim Ellis Saab ordered one from Sweden but after 6 months I gave up.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have an inner gear and outer gear sitting on my desk, the original ones from an engine I redid a long time ago. I use them as paperweights.

And having really looked at these things I can't understand why the gears have marks on them at all, but have lined them up nonetheless. It's not like they have any kind of non-uniform shape.
I assume the mark on the outer ring might serve as a direction indicator when you reassemble a used unit. Position of inner ring is fixed and it might not be useful to change to change the position of the outer ring after it has seated/fitted to the inner ring in this position.
For a new pump it wouldn´t make any difference.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While we're on the subject, has anyone found a source for a new OEM pump? I put the original one back in, the only thing I could find was Pro Parts, not doing that. Jim Ellis Saab ordered one from Sweden but after 6 months I gave up.
Look online at a few of the major auto parts websites, I believe rock auto or carid had oem. I never order from Jim ellis, they have great exploded diagrams but their prices are quite high. If you do a quick search online, there are many places that sell oem for way cheaper than ellis.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

If those gears are still good and are oem you could sell them to josdek. Yea thats the reason why I started the thread, the marks were confusing, but I have it back together now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All the info out there says to line up marks and have one facing out and one facing in etc. I am just trying to figure out how to install these 3 pieces correctly while I wait for the crank seal and cover seals to show up
That is how you install them. the large ring faces mark out, the other gear flange and mark in. I just installed mine that way and there was no problems. If you have any questions, send em a PM or comment here. Have an exceptional day :)

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
If those gears are still good and are oem you could sell them to josdek. Yea thats the reason why I started the thread, the marks were confusing, but I have it back together now.
If Josdek wants the oil pump set he can have it for shipping, no idea if they are or are not in good shape since there really is no way to measure them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts