SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a remote oil presure gauge???????
Instead of the idiot light.......

Is this possible or logical?

With the sump screen problem I would like to install one on my car not having the time to remove the pan right yet. I already have one in surgery and still driving the other at 247k......I bought it with 200k and have not had a problem. I am using Mobil 1 and the engine is quiet.

This sounds like the thing to do if you purchase a used Saab.......not knowing the cars oil change history........

Thanks all and speed safely

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I'm sure it could be done, but it raises the obvious question of where you would put it on the dash. Perhaps if you bought an aftermarket HU you could use the space where a filler shelf would go. But that all seems like a lot of effort, particularly if you like the look of your stock dash.

However I'm developing a new theory. If your car has already gone so far, perhaps it's not prone to sludging so you have little to worry about. Mine now has 131 k, and I'm leaning towards that theory.

·
Registered
20 Posts
imad4saabs,

i'm currently dealing with the oil-light issue
(flicker at idle and when braking, fine when accelerating)
have you been through the oil-pan removing, screen cleansing process?
any tips, suggestions, etc?

p.s. whereabouts in vermont?

-M

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok, so skip the redundant questions.

(i got excited when i saw you were from VT and dealing with the same types of issues)

-M

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oil Light?

That brings up a new Question with the oil light. I have never seen one come on. Is it supposed to light up on ignition???????

I just removed the oil pan on my other saab "97 900s"

Thank goodness for Eagle lifts and Air tools. I had my pan off in an hour....Have not gotten to inspect sump screen yet. I know it will be bad from the neglect I have already seen.

I was thinking that an oil light may be easier than pulling a pan. It sounded like a bigger job than it really was. Having the proper TOOLS helps.... I think I will just pull the pan on my other saab also when I get the chance just for good measure.

Well I have to go check out the sump. I will post photos later....

I am from Fair Haven, 65 miles south of Burlington.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
That brings up a new Question with the oil light. I have never seen one come on. Is it supposed to light up on ignition???????

Yes it is. Mine didn't used to come on. I had my car into the shop for some other work and they noticed this and replaced a sensor for about $30.00. I still haven't figured out exactly where the sensor is though.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
JMarkert said:
I still haven't figured out exactly where the sensor is though.
Back side of the engine, single wire sensor. Hard to get to, at least for me. From the top you would be working blind, hard from the bottom w/o a lift. Same area as the oil filler tube and the pesky filler tube seal.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I wonder if you could install an oil pressure gauge and/or a real temp gauge in place of the ashtray, next to the lighter.

The engine temp gauge is not much better than the oil light. It is not a true proportional gauge, the ecu does some kind of averaging so you do not see small fluctuations in temperature. As a result, you will not see the temperature increasing gradually, the gauge stays at 9 o'clock, and then shoots up. For some people that is a bit late... just like the oil light.

The screen looks about like what I expect to find on mine, except my oil pressure is still holding up (tested 50 psi @ 2000 rpm recently). Curious what the chains and oil pump are like if you get that far. Thanks for posting the pics.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Great photo, but I see corrosion all over the place, even at the large red lead to the alternator.

I think I see the oil pressure transmitter, looks to be hard to access..They used to be 2$ to 5$.....and tended to leak on high mileage cars...

The old Mercedes used an oil pressure gauge, which was good quality - Chrysler Corp also had a gauge, but it was , like the rest of the car, "toy quality"...

My idea is to mount a gauge in the engine compartment , the big busses do this, I think it may be a good concept... At least here there is a little free space - somewhere...
Just use the disrespected "idiot lite" as a warning only - not that I like this - I really hate the prevalent "warning" mentality that has soiled our lives so......
Ideally there should be a voltmeter and a useful oil pressure gauge.
I also think Saab owners are special - and their cars should be as well...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
One thing about oil screens. During the good old days when VW used NO OIL FILTER, nor did everyone, (was an accessory),the oil screen was accessible via the quick and easy removal of 6 screws during the oil change.

The screen was washed in kerosene by the "mechanic" (me).
But some took shortcuts and drained the oil directly from the center plug.
No doubt, many air cooled engines died with horrible clogged up screens - as well as burned valves and loose heads...

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Great photo, but I see corrosion all over the place, even at the large red lead to the alternator.
Well, he does live in VERMONT, so that explains most of the corrosion.

Since we're diverging...

I drove a vw bug for a while in high school and college. I cleaned the oil screen from time to time, but I never found a drop of sludge on it ever. The poor car is still parked at my parents' house, waiting for me to restore it.

It's funny how the SAAB has spoiled me. I feel like I'm in a tinny death trap when I ride around in my friends Sentra's and Corollas. They're probably a thousand times safer than the bug.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This engine is gone........

This car needs an engine Transplant. I have owned it for 4 days knowing the engine was bad. I just tore it down to see. I can not believe someone would do this to such a great car. I will bring it back to life though.......

The connecting rod bearings were all bad.
Had to remove oil pan bolt with vicegrips, torch and big hammer.

I liked the Idea of mounting a gauge under the hood I will go that route for insurance and or peace of mind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts