SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Saab 93 with ~135300 miles. Recently my oil light has flashed on and off and now my oil pressure warning light is also coming on intermittently while driving. This happens mainly on city streets. I do have an oil leak from the crank shaft seal, so i carry around a jug of oil for emergencies. I check my oil frequently, and it is full. Could there be a problem with the oil pressure sensor (already replaced once), or oil filter? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The oil pressure switch used to be a $3 item, and easy to change.
Probably this is another sludge bucket and one more sale has been lost.
Stop driving her, the pressure is too low, the lite seldom fails.
Drop the subframe, the oil pan , and examine the oil screen.
And, has the latest (version 6) engine vent system been installed?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
If I recall correctly, the oil light comes on at a ridiculously low pressure, something like 0.5 to 1.5 PSI. If the sensor is functioning correctly and the light comes on, it means you are driving with almost NO oil pressure. Additionally, the leaky crank seal is probably leaky because the engine does not PCV mod #6 and is, therefore, not venting. The extra moisture in the crankcase makes it much more likely for the oil to sludge up.

I agree with the others. Stop driving at once and you may be able to save the engine.

John

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
To cheer you up; I changed the oil not so long ago on my T5 car, and when I "tested" for sludge, the coat hanger came back with a pasty black substance on the tip. So, frantic, I stopped driving and dropped the pan. The engine was perfectly clean, NOTHING in the screen. However, there was an accretion of old oil and particulate right around the drain plug, which explains why I thought sludge! There is a chance it could be a faulty sensor. Stop driving and pull the pan ASAP!
Good luck!
-Cm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts