SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 9-5 Arc sedan.

Oil is leaking from behind the starter. I can't see it, but I'm assuming the culprit is the oil pressure sensor.

How big of a PITA is it to replace the sensor? Does the starter have to come out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Also check the PCV oil separator and drain hose. They can dribble oil down the back of the block. Inspection is best done from below since the intake manifold makes it difficult to see from above.

·
Registered
721 Posts
2005 9-5 Arc sedan.

Oil is leaking from behind the starter. I can't see it, but I'm assuming the culprit is the oil pressure sensor.

How big of a PITA is it to replace the sensor? Does the starter have to come out?

Thanks.
You can cut a wrench down to size and get in there without taking out the starter.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Whatever you do, make sure it is seated tightly & does not leak oil again so clean it well (speaking from experience here...). I purchased a flare nut wrench to do mine, a crows foot version may be helpful as well.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Plus 1 on removing starter to replace oil pressure sensor

I have done the oil pressure sensor replacement both ways, and I favor removing the starter.

It seems like way more work at first, but once the bolts are broken loose you'll see that it's not a hard starter to remove AND you will be better able to confirm that it really is just the oil pressure sensor and not the O-ring sealing your PCV trap to the block. While loosened, check the starter cable connections for corrosion and make sure they're all good and tight. So 'more work' actually worked out faster for me.

You need really small hands and long arms to use the half-wrench without scratching up your forearm pretty good (I still have the half wrench and I use it for other things).

·
Registered
23 Posts
on removing starter to replace oil pressure sensor

I removed the starter and was able to use a "shorty" wrench to remove and install the new sensor. Fixed a leak that caused a steady pour of oil when running on my 2000 9-5.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks again for all your help.

I just installed the new oil pressure sensor, part number 55559824. The new sensor had a 24 mm nut on it. I've read some replacement sensors have a 22 mm nut, but mine was 24 mm.

Here's what I did:

From top of engine,

1. Disconnect negative battery terminal.
2. Disconnect and set aside air duct / intake tube.
3. Between the throttle body and brake master cylinder there's some rigid vacuum lines. They're in the way, and you don't want to accidentally break them. Instead of removing them, simply disconnect them in a couple locations. This allows them to move freely, thus reducing the chance of them breaking when performing the next step.
4. Remove top starter mounting bolt. To find the bolt, just follow the top radiator hose to where it ends. It is a few inches below. Use a long ratchet with ½ inch drive.

From under the car,

5. Remove bracket between block and intake manifold. There are two bolts. It's simple to remove.
6. There's a plastic cable tie around the starter. Cut this off using a pair of diagonal cutters.
7. On starter solenoid, remove small nut for the small, ignition wire. You'll have to do this by feel. Remove wire's ring terminal from threaded stud after removing nut.
8. On starter solenoid, remove large nut for the large battery wire. Then remove wire's ring terminal from threaded stud. Note: this was very difficult to do on my car. There just wasn't enough slack in the wire to get the ring terminal off the stud! :x I eventually resorted to using a long screwdriver to pry the ring terminal off the threaded stud.
9. Looking up at the starter solenoid, you'll see another nut on a threaded stud. This is for a short wire between the solenoid and starter. You do not have to remove this nut. But if you do remove it, it's not a big deal: simply reinstall the nut after you remove the starter.
10. Remove starter's lower mounting nut.
11. Remove starter.
12. Cut wire to pressure sensor. Cut the wire very close to the sensor.
13. Use 24 mm socket and ratchet to remove sensor.
14. Unplug connector. Note: I've read a lot of people had trouble doing this. It only took me a few seconds to remove it. Using a very small, flat blade screwdriver, I inserted the screwdriver's blade between the connector's black housing and the red tab, and then pushed & twisted the screwdriver. The red tab popped right up. I had to do this with one hand, but it wasn't difficult at all.
15. Install new sensor. Since my sensor had a 24 mm nut, I was able to shove the connector and wire into a 24 mm deep-well socket (with ½ inch drive) and use a ratchet. Simple.
16. Mate the two connectors, then push down on the red tab to lock them together.
17. Put starter back in. Make sure starter is seated very well.
18. Hand-tighten the starter's lower mounting nut.

From top of engine,

19. Reinstall and tighten top starter mounting bolt.

From under the car,

20. Tighten starter's lower mounting nut.
21. Reinstall wires' ring terminals on threaded studs on starter solenoid. Again, it was a real pain in the butt to get the ring terminal for the battery wire back on the stud. I eventually got it on, but it took a long time and required a lot of cussing. :(
22. Reinstall bracket between block and intake manifold.

From top of engine,

23. Reinstall air duct / intake tube.
24. Reconnect negative battery terminal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts