SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted one to a c900 T16 for the gauges - did you need an extender to get the sender past the oil cooler lines? If so where did you get it/any ideas on a part number? Cheers!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Yeah, youll seed a T and an adapter. Iirc the sender for the gauge was an 1/8" pipe thread and I think the stock dummy light switch is a metric straight thread.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Yes, got the sender and the adapter from egauges (www.egauges.com). The replacement sender does both the oil pressure and the idiot light. They were quite helpful. I got my replacement outside temp gauge there too.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I fitted mine without an extension tube but I did need an adaptor to convert the M10x1 thread of the sender unit to the M14x1.5 thread on the oil filter housing. FWIW I used a VDO sender which works both the oil pressure gauge and the warning light.

There is no room at all to fit a T-piece that allows you to fit a separate sender unit and low pressure switch as the bottom of the inlet manifold is in the way.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nuclear_jimbo said:
I fitted mine without an extension tube but I did need an adaptor to convert the M10x1 thread of the sender unit to the M14x1.5 thread on the oil filter housing. FWIW I used a VDO sender which works both the oil pressure gauge and the warning light.

There is no room at all to fit a T-piece that allows you to fit a separate sender unit and low pressure switch as the bottom of the inlet manifold is in the way.
Did you have any trouble with oil cooler lines getting in the way - how did you avoid the need for the extension tube?

·
Registered
181 Posts
thesaabologist said:
Did you have any trouble with oil cooler lines getting in the way - how did you avoid the need for the extension tube?
It fits very nicely - give me a few hours (I'm currently pretending to work for a living...) and I'll post a couple of pics.

·
Registered
891 Posts
nuclear_jimbo said:

This is true, and exactly how I did mine. I bought the sending unit and adapter bushing from www.egauges.com. The sending unit is a VDO part. Write this information down so you know exactly what to order. The unit is maybe the size of a walnut with two thumb nuts to hold the wires on. The only problem I had was determining which wire was for the guage and which one was for the light. Trial and error fixed that, as one was a fixed on/off and the other had variable resistance. There is not much space there, but instalation was a snap with no problems at all.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It's not a terribly good pic as it's a rotten place to get into but this is how the sender and oil pipes sit:

For info the terminals are stamped WK - warning light and G - gauge

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the helpful tips and pics all -

one further question - how did you remove the original pressure switch - looks like a giant socket is required?

·
Registered
181 Posts
thesaabologist said:
thanks for the helpful tips and pics all -

one further question - how did you remove the original pressure switch - looks like a giant socket is required?
22mm if I remember right. It doesn't have a massive torque loading.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
nuclear_jimbo said:
There is room, you have to get creative. I did it on two of my 84 8v turbos.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
While we're on the subject of these senders, I found that ProSport gauges sell an interesting metric gauge adaptor kit to connect any 1/8" NPT threaded sender into something that's expecting a metric-threaded sender. That could be useful with our cars since one of the adaptors has an M14 x 1.5 mm external thread - I think that's the same thread size as the standard oil pressure switch.

The other question relates to the sender's pressure range. I've noticed that with the generic VDO two-output oil senders, there appears to be an 80 psi version and a 150 psi version (which hopefully would work just fine with a metric-calibrated oil pressure gauge). Which version suits our Saab engines? I have no idea what the nominal oil pressure range is when the engines are running.

Does VDO make oil pressure sender specified with metric pressure ranges or are they all specified in PSI and with the 'metric' gauges set up to display a signal measuring PSI as the correct metric value?

Craig.

·
Registered
181 Posts
c900 said:
While we're on the subject of these senders, I found that ProSport gauges sell an interesting metric gauge adaptor kit to connect any 1/8" NPT threaded sender into something that's expecting a metric-threaded sender. That could be useful with our cars since one of the adaptors has an M14 x 1.5 mm external thread - I think that's the same thread size as the standard oil pressure switch.

The other question relates to the sender's pressure range. I've noticed that with the generic VDO two-output oil senders, there appears to be an 80 psi version and a 150 psi version (which hopefully would work just fine with a metric-calibrated oil pressure gauge). Which version suits our Saab engines? I have no idea what the nominal oil pressure range is when the engines are running.

Does VDO make oil pressure sender specified with metric pressure ranges or are they all specified in PSI and with the 'metric' gauges set up to display a signal measuring PSI as the correct metric value?

Craig.
The VDO senders need to be matched to the gauge so, if you have a 5 bar gauge (ie, one that has a max reading of 5 bar/75psi) you will need a 5 bar sender. If you run a 5 bar sender with a 10 bar gauge it will over-read by double and a 10 bar sender with a 5 bar gauge will under-read by half. The sender itself isn't calibrated in psi/bar, it just produces a variable resistance dependent upon the pressure applied to the capsule. The gauge itself produces the 'value' in PSI or bar.

Thread-wise, the standard thread for most American and British senders is 1/8npt whereas it is usually M10x1 for German senders.

5 bar is more than adequate for Saab engine. If you had a reading above 4 bar/60psi there is something badly wrong like a clogged oil filter or jammed pressure relief valve and the normal maximum oil pressure is should be about 50psi-ish. I have a 10 bar gauge in mine and the range of movement is not very obvious in my peripheral vision - a 5 bar gauge will display a greater (and more obvious) range of needle deflection.

By the way, some Audi 100s, Coupes and some VWs of the 1980s had a VDO voltmeter, oil pressure and temperature gauge in a panel that slots into a standard DIN radio aperture. These are practically identical to the Saab items except they are a damn sight cheaper (I paid £20 for mine with sender) and, if you get one of these setups, the thread on the sender is M10x1.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
nuclear_jimbo said:
The VDO senders need to be matched to the gauge so, if you have a 5 bar gauge (ie, one that has a max reading of 5 bar/75psi) you will need a 5 bar sender. If you run a 5 bar sender with a 10 bar gauge it will over-read by double and a 10 bar sender with a 5 bar gauge will under-read by half. The sender itself isn't calibrated in psi/bar, it just produces a variable resistance dependent upon the pressure applied to the capsule. The gauge itself produces the 'value' in PSI or bar.

Thread-wise, the standard thread for most American and British senders is 1/8npt whereas it is usually M10x1 for German senders.

5 bar is more than adequate for Saab engine. If you had a reading above 4 bar/60psi there is something badly wrong like a clogged oil filter or jammed pressure relief valve and the normal maximum oil pressure is should be about 50psi-ish. I have a 10 bar gauge in mine and the range of movement is not very obvious in my peripheral vision - a 5 bar gauge will display a greater (and more obvious) range of needle deflection.

By the way, some Audi 100s, Coupes and some VWs of the 1980s had a VDO voltmeter, oil pressure and temperature gauge in a panel that slots into a standard DIN radio aperture. These are practically identical to the Saab items except they are a damn sight cheaper (I paid £20 for mine with sender) and, if you get one of these setups, the thread on the sender is M10x1.
Thanks for all that really helpful info. The new VDO senders I spotted on Ebay all seem to be M10 x 1 thread versions. It's handy to know what the nominal operating oil pressure should be. I'll go for the 5 bar version and see if I can locate a nice version of the 5 bar gauge to go with it. Don't like PSI since I'm in Oz and PSI really doesn't make a lot of sense to those of us born post-1966 when Australia started going metric (that's the year we adopted the Oz dollar in place of the UK pound for currency).

I've got some 3-gauge DIN slot mounting plates here already. The trick is that the newer vdo gauges with the big white plastic screw on part to secure them won't fit those 3-gauge plates and they need the older type of gauge with a securing bar that's bolted to the gauge. I don't know if VDO makes gauges with that type of mounting as new items anymore.

Craig.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
done!! (not connected the gauges up - that for next week :D -shh don't tell my wife) - needed a 24mm (22mm wouldn't fit)

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Anybody know what the thread size of the port for the standard fuel pressure switch is? It looks to be similar or identical to an engine oil drain plug, which I think is M14 x 1.5. There are some VDO fuel pressure senders on Ebay which look to have a fitting that is close to that size. Most of the new senders for VW's on Ebay are M10 x 1 but that's still fine since a simple adaptor will take care of it once I find a source (and figure out what the standard pressure switch thread size is)!

Thanks if you know the answer,

Craig.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts