SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I got my car back from having the aero roll bars installed (wheeeee :D) the auto shop said they noticed a small leak coming from the oil pressure sender. I asked them how big of a problem it was and they said they werent for sure because they didnt know exactly where it was from. I changed my oil about a month ago and I haven't noticed any drips since then. Is this actually a bad problem? What is an oil pressure sender?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Very common problem, its located on the rear of the engine block above the starter motor. It can be reached from above if you have small hands but most approach from below.

Its name gives it away really, it monitors the oil pressure in the engine and sends a message via a CEL if you have low oil pressure. Its a very important thing for a car that has inherent oil sludging problems.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heh, alright, so definitely important, but easy to get to. how about easy to fix? anyone have a DIY guide? they wanted $90 to fix it :(

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's also called the oil pressure sensor. If your oil pressure is below the min range it will set off the oil light on your dash. It sits on the back of the engine just above the starter. It is very prone to leaks. Mine has been changed twice in 104,000 miles. Luckily it's only an $18 part. It's not too bad of a job to diy but you will need to remove the starter to get to it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
pdenton said:
heh, alright, so definitely important, but easy to get to. how about easy to fix? anyone have a DIY guide? they wanted $90 to fix it :(
Its good to see a fellow Kentuckian on the board. Not many of us around here! I have not seen a diy for this, but like I said in previous post its a fairly easy fix. Just remove the starter and its right there. The sensor has a wire on the end of it so its a little tricky not to damage it with your socket when you put it on. You will need a 24mm. deep well socket. I actually cut a 1/2 in. groove in the end of the socket so I could feed the wire through it without damaging it. If you had a 12 point socket you probably don't need to do this.

If you need help getting the starter removed I could give you some help there as well!

Paul

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so just for giggles, i called the stealership and asked how much it'd cost for them to replace it. They said it'd cost a highly comical $260:lol:. I think I might just go back to my great indie mechanic at some point. $90 for an $18 part and a buttload of hassle almost seems worth it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I suggest you fix it as soon as you can. A95 we had had a small leak from the sender that was ignored for too long and it blew out on the road emptying the engine of oil and of course because it was the sender that blew out the oil light did not come on and major engine damage was caused.

Mitay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts