SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install an oil pressure gauge. I have seen a "sender" plate that sandwiches between the filter assembly plate and the filter and then an electrical pressure sending unit by .... o damn senior moment what is the name ? prosports? and an electrical read out that mounts somewhere on the dash. any one got any ideas about this item or other suggestions ? yeah this is it ... https://www.shopbtr.com/Prosport-Gauges-Oil-Pressure-Gauge-Electric-wsender--AmberWhite-52mm_p_3839.html

John in Baltimore

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi J,
Installing an auxiliary oil pressure gauge is a fine idea, however, are you by-passing a symptom like the intermittent oil light? If not, carry on

If so....the intermittent oil light is a sign that oil pressure is being lost in the bearing clearances (usually at idle). The root cause/culprit could also be all of the following:
1.Clogged oil pick-up screen
2. worn main bearings
3. stuck oil filter bypass spring
4. Worn balance shaft bearings, which will end up being a block replacement

If your car drives fine at highway speeds and then stalls as you come to a stop. Probably, the balance shafts and main bearings are damaged.

I am volunteering this info, since I haven’t seen these items addressed in the saab forums. Other forums for the Mitsubishi evolution turbos have many threads regarding oil light issues and the subsequent balance shaft delete fixes

HTH,

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi J,
Installing an auxiliary oil pressure gauge is a fine idea, however, are you by-passing a symptom like the intermittent oil light? If not, carry on

If so....the intermittent oil light is a sign that oil pressure is being lost in the bearing clearances (usually at idle). The root cause/culprit could also be all of the following:
1.Clogged oil pick-up screen
2. worn main bearings
3. stuck oil filter bypass spring
4. Worn balance shaft bearings, which will end up being a block replacement

If your car drives fine at highway speeds and then stalls as you come to a stop. Probably, the balance shafts and main bearings are damaged.

I am volunteering this info, since I haven’t seen these items addressed in the saab forums. Other forums for the Mitsubishi evolution turbos have many threads regarding oil light issues and the subsequent balance shaft delete fixes

HTH,
Thanks for the reply...I am getting a REPLACEMENT engine installed, , Yup the classic clogged oil screen. There was a double failure The harmonic balancer failed, and the oil screen, causing one of the bearings to well, weld lets just say. so with a known good engine, I was wondering about the Prosport system ( and installing new bearings, bypass spring/ shaft, thermostat, and pressure sensor {read as failure sensor ! }) this is the second car both 9-3 2.0 turbos that have had the screen failure !

·
Registered
864 Posts
I think every Saab should have a reliable oil pressure gauge. There are numerous posts and I think there is a sticky in the performance/mods on the subject. There's a few different opinions on where to tap the line and where to mount the gauge. For sensor mount, I've used these two options - number two is my now my preferred method as the pancake adapaters always seem to get grimey and moist like they have a crappy seal.
  1. Pancake adapter between oil filter mount and oil filter. It can get tight in the area so I attach a grease gun fitting flexible hose to the outlet port and route it up to the topside of the engine and mount the sensor to the topside end of the hose. Then you have easy access for wiring or connecting mechanical gauage tubing.
  2. Replace the turbo oil feed banjo bolt with a "double" banjo bolt and attach a flexible hose with proper size banjo end (so it is piggybacking on the turbo oil feed). I use a mechanical gauage so I routed a 6' braided hose direct to the gauge, but you could also route a short hose to the top of the engine and attach sensor there.
Mounting the gauage is another big decision. I'd say most people install it in the light switch whole - leaving the lights in permanent daytime running light mode. I've also read where people mount to the lower dash panel above driver's knees, but not sure how visiible that is. I've experimented and know installed it in the bottom of the center console behind the manual shifter and as far back is it could go, It faces straight up so I added an angled bezel so it can be tilted toward driver. I'd think the auto would also have room for this but I've never pulled out an auto center/front dash consolse/panel.

I actually love this spot as I can quickly glance down to view it when necessary - but it is out of the way so I am not constantly glancing at it. I think I have an oil pressure OCD syndrome - if a gauge is in plain site I constantly monitor it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think every Saab should have a reliable oil pressure gauge. There are numerous posts and I think there is a sticky in the performance/mods on the subject. There's a few different opinions on where to tap the line and where to mount the gauge. For sensor mount, I've used these two options - number two is my now my preferred method as the pancake adapaters always seem to get grimey and moist like they have a crappy seal.
  1. Pancake adapter between oil filter mount and oil filter. It can get tight in the area so I attach a grease gun fitting flexible hose to the outlet port and route it up to the topside of the engine and mount the sensor to the topside end of the hose. Then you have easy access for wiring or connecting mechanical gauage tubing.
  2. Replace the turbo oil feed banjo bolt with a "double" banjo bolt and attach a flexible hose with proper size banjo end (so it is piggybacking on the turbo oil feed). I use a mechanical gauage so I routed a 6' braided hose direct to the gauge, but you could also route a short hose to the top of the engine and attach sensor there.
Mounting the gauage is another big decision. I'd say most people install it in the light switch whole - leaving the lights in permanent daytime running light mode. I've also read where people mount to the lower dash panel above driver's knees, but not sure how visiible that is. I've experimented and know installed it in the bottom of the center console behind the manual shifter and as far back is it could go, It faces straight up so I added an angled bezel so it can be tilted toward driver. I'd think the auto would also have room for this but I've never pulled out an auto center/front dash consolse/panel.

I actually love this spot as I can quickly glance down to view it when necessary - but it is out of the way so I am not constantly glancing at it. I think I have an oil pressure OCD syndrome - if a gauge is in plain site I constantly monitor it.
Thanks fior the idea I will have to look at the space for the pancake assembly to see what I want to do thanks John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts