SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All Saab fans!!
I have today an issue with my oil pressure, my oil level was very low so in view to change the oil i was considered to wait few days ..but today my mind are changed and i refill my engine with an semi synthetic 10w40 i continue to drive and climbing an highway, at that moment the oil pressure light flashing and my engine start to going noisy ...
at the garage they say it's probably a valve lifter ( the noise seems provide from the upper motor, and when it turn at slow regime it hesitate a little...so for replacing the valve lifter, they don't know well if it's really hard or long to change...expensive in fact.
Some of you have advices or photos of how to do ...
and my original oil change is 5w30 it could be a problem to refill with a 10w40 ??

thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
Hello All Saab fans!!
I have today an issue with my oil pressure, my oil level was very low so in view to change the oil i was considered to wait few days ..but today my mind are changed and i refill my engine with an semi synthetic 10w40 i continue to drive and climbing an highway, at that moment the oil pressure light flashing and my engine start to going noisy ...
at the garage they say it's probably a valve lifter ( the noise seems provide from the upper motor, and when it turn at slow regime it hesitate a little...so for replacing the valve lifter, they don't know well if it's really hard or long to change...expensive in fact.
Some of you have advices or photos of how to do ...
and my original oil change is 5w30 it could be a problem to refill with a 10w40 ??

thanks for your help
Did you just add oil or drain and replace the oil and filter? Did you continue to drive it after your oil pressure light came on?

There is no problem changing your oil viscosity from 30 to 40.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know I am only new here, but maybe you should consider a sump drop. 2002 is right in the middle of the engine sludge era. New oil won't fix a clogged pickup and you may be doing more damage by just continuing to drive it.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I know I am only new here, but maybe you should consider a sump drop. 2002 is right in the middle of the engine sludge era. New oil won't fix a clogged pickup and you may be doing more damage by just continuing to drive it.

After taking few advices in this forum and at a Saab garage, the mechanic in charge say, (22 yrs experience, driving a Saab with 300000 km ) before disassembling anything in the upper motor (he never does that for this problem) better to drain the oil change filter and clean strainer, he is sure this come from the sludge in the lower motor area, and for the future, using oil 5w30+shortening the drain mileage at 10000- 12000, Not at 20000 km (7000-9000..... 12500 miles) and the whining at cold start came for the same reason lack of pressure from the lower engine area, he says too some people change oil pump, but in any case he had changed that part

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
After taking few advices in this forum and at a Saab garage, the mechanic in charge say, (22 yrs experience, driving a Saab with 300000 km ) before disassembling anything in the upper motor (he never does that for this problem) better to drain the oil change filter and clean strainer, he is sure this come from the sludge in the lower motor area, and for the future, using oil 5w30+shortening the drain mileage at 10000- 12000, Not at 20000 km (7000-9000..... 12500 miles) and the whining at cold start came for the same reason lack of pressure from the lower engine area, he says too some people change oil pump, but in any case he had changed that part
10,000 KM oil change interval!!! that is 6213 miles.......wow. I change mine at 3000 miles with full synthetic oil. I get scared it I accidentally go to 3500 miles.

Have your guy drop the sump. Clean the screen, and change oil and filter at 5,000 Km religiously.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10,000 KM oil change interval!!! that is 6213 miles.......wow. I change mine at 3000 miles with full synthetic oil. I get scared it I accidentally go to 3500 miles.

Have your guy drop the sump. Clean the screen, and change oil and filter at 5,000 Km religiously.
this come from new car habits, garages and car brands recommend 15000 or 20000 the young guy who's made this last time certainly don't know Saab issue with sludge but some other brands have the same issue WW AUDI ....

So for you in California, you have lots of traffic jam and the temperature is more higher than my place, and I use mine for middle distance trip ...
now i understand you better about since i have knowledge of this issue...
I try in the future to change earlier my oil ..finally my car have 235000 km lots of cars have issues like that ...

·
Registered
7,893 Posts

Dick

way over kill. I change mine between 5000-7000 and when I dropped the sump on the 03 Aero for the first time at 120K (and with the old PCV) it as pretty much spotless. But it's always had synthetic since the day I got it at ~50K.

My son's 99, which has had synthetic since 16K was also dropped at the same time, same intervals and it was just as clean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts