SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a question about my Saab 9000. I want to know if the pressure is enough or something is wrong.

cold start 900 RPM 6 bar
warm engine 900 rpm 1,1-1,2 bar
when i drive around 2000-2500 RPM almost 4 bar warm engine .
the engine has almost 300,000 km
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
your numbers read as good.. Certainly so for an old engine.
Suspect yer not seeing the decimal point (0.7 bar)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I also read 2.6 at 2000 rpm (in Haynes Manual I think). Mine reads 1.9 at 2000 rpm when hot on the OEM VDO oil gauge but of course I don't know that its accurate. All your readings are higher than mine!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I have one more question can oil be as hot as 100 degrees celsius?
Shouldn't be other than in exceptional circumstances ...176 F (~80 C) is typ Engine oil temp.... 84 c oil with 34 c water is to me an Odd /worrying combination.
Somethings things clearly amiss with your engine .
Sometimes gauges can be wrong :) Take a manual temp reading and compare... if possible.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shouldn't be other than in exceptional circumstances ...176 F (~80 C) is typ Engine oil temp.... 84 c oil with 34 c water is to me an Odd /worrying combination.
Somethings things clearly amiss with your engine .
Sometimes gauges can be wrong :) Take a manual temp reading and compare... if possible.
Water its not connect i put in A/C.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Hello today 95-100 celsius oil and on 2000 RPM 2.2-2.8 Bar IS that okay?
is this under driving conditions ? or stationary parked. I think the pressure is ok , However remember your oil cooler is a radiator that works on air flow for cooling , so if you are not moving......

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
In my 9000 with the OEM accessory VDO gauge, its 80 to 90 in the cruise. Can reach 100 if traffic then slows or I get into town. Not surprised - engine up to working temp and suddenly reduced cooling.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Your oil pressure looks very good for a well used engine.

Normal oil temps for a 9k from an accurate gauge run 175F / 80C for normal use with clean oil, this rises towards 185F / 85C as the oil gets dirty.

Sitting in hot weather with a/c on will see this elevated a bit.

Using lots of full boost and brakes on track with a tuned engine will see the oil temp rise to 230F or 110C, which is not an issue but why you use good synthetic oil.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello idk if its normal but sometimes i have 95-100 celsius oil temp
when it's cold outside like 3-5 celsius max. And i think
the oil cooler is still cold. And i´m driving normally.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another problem I'll start the car in the morning. There are about 3 degrees outside by 5-10 seconds for a lot of white smoke to come out of the exhaust. when I back out of the parking lot it's okay. The center of the turbo has been new there for about a month. It started doing it when it got cold outside. i have sport exhaust ending.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Oil thermostat is stuck?
How much ex smoke?
Mine has large visible (steam?) from the ex.. until the engine temps are normalized and the ex system is finally up to temp .
More so than any other car I've ever owned.
But it's been doing this since I bought it in 2004.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
White smoke is condensation usually. Ethanol fuel and old PCV and EGR setups cause it mostly. Your oil and crank case contains water vapor until the oil reaches operating temp. The PCV sucks that out and the EGR also keeps vapor running around until the head gets hot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts