SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright i fd up again...:S my saab is honestly starting to piss me off soooooo much its not even funny. so new problem my bolt for my oil pan has become stripped not completely I am sure theres more i can do before i reach the point where i need a new pan, but does anyone know where i can find a new oil pan? i have looked high and low but i cant find one not even in a junk yard. i would like to know where i might be able to find one just in case i run into that point where i need one. thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
The only place I know that has them is the dealer. I would suggest you go the vise grip route to get it out. Were you trying to use a 12 point socket to get it off or something? That plug has a lot of side wall and is not easy to strip. I would suggest one of these for future use. http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=204

I had to help someone get a stripped bolt out before and instead of worrying about it again he bought one of these and so far no complaints. I'm thinking about buying one myself and that way I may not even need to put my car on ramps or pull out tools to change the oil. Well except to take the filter off.

EDIT: Just checked the price on an oil pan and you are definitely going to want to get the vise grips out.

My favorite site for Saab parts has it. It's $259 and the dealer price is going to be @$279 according to the parts lookup feature on GenuineSaab which is usually spot on with what my dealer charges.
http://thesaabsite.com/93/93enginepartsexternal4cyl.htm

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I think there are probably easier options, for example you could get a tap and die set (or go to a shop that has one). It's a set of hardened screw like tools that can be used to straighten the threads in softer metal.

If it's just that the bolt is stuck, I'd suggest just buying a new bolt and going to a shop. I struggled for weeks with the 'stripped' bolt on my ng900. Vice grips, hammers, heat, all the usual tools. In the end, I bought a new bolt and went to a shop. He had it out in less time than it took to get the car up on the lift and charged me 20 bucks. I felt that I had spent my time and effort foolishly :roll: These things are much easier with the car in the air and professional tools.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I would go with Goldwingsaab its a junk yard in new york ships the parts out really good prices and very friendly people. I am about to order a rear lower control arm in excellent condition for $65 shipped alot better then the dealers price for a brand new one.

After looking at the bottom of the car its going to be difficult to remove the oil pan, would be an itneresting write up if you do go about it.

Another otpion I have seen done is to rethread it.......of course since its an oil pan dont know how smart this is but if you drill it out and rethread it to something just larger then the oem bolt could you not replace it....again just an idea.

·
Registered
683 Posts
It's nuts to scrap out a whole oil pan just for a stripped drain plug. Stripped plugs are fairly common, especially if you use the quick oil change gorillas. If you can't find an oversize replacement plug (that you can re-drill and tap for) in the aftermarket, you ought to be able to use a Helicoil of an appropriate size. This gizmo looks like a spring. You drill, tap, and thread it in, and the stock plug threads right into it. I have used Helicoils for stripped spark plugs in small engine aluminum heads. Helicoils come in a variety of thread sizes - matching coils and taps come as a set.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
It's nuts to scrap out a whole oil pan just for a stripped drain plug. Stripped plugs are fairly common, especially if you use the quick oil change gorillas. If you can't find an oversize replacement plug (that you can re-drill and tap for) in the aftermarket, you ought to be able to use a Helicoil of an appropriate size. This gizmo looks like a spring. You drill, tap, and thread it in, and the stock plug threads right into it. I have used Helicoils for stripped spark plugs in small engine aluminum heads. Helicoils come in a variety of thread sizes - matching coils and taps come as a set.
Exactly what I was going to say. Helicoil is a good choice and is pretty easy to do.

Be mindful of metal flakes getting into the oil pan if you decide to drill and tap.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no the threads are not stripped guys. thanks cjhutch thats somthing i would look into. the head is stripped and i figured if i had to drill it out, and the threads got f'd then i would need a new pan. i could helicoil but that would probably not create proper seal. Yesterday i tried with vise grips and channel locks but the bolt kept stripping, so i think i need to get it on a lift so i can get proper tension on it. I have an idea that all the salt from the snow has caused this problem plus that bolt head is sooo weak it seems it is defiantly going to get replace at this point

·
Registered
367 Posts
no tap set? that little set you can screw into the bolt in reverse adn then crank it the other way to turn the bolt, forget what its called but i used my gfs grandfathers kit to fix my shower, same idea though, i think its a tap and die set that has the comoplete kit for all sorts of stuff, obviously the tool kit was expensive but you could borrown one from someone or something like that, does anyone know what this tool is called because i cant remember for the life of me

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no tap set? that little set you can screw into the bolt in reverse adn then crank it the other way to turn the bolt, forget what its called but i used my gfs grandfathers kit to fix my shower, same idea though, i think its a tap and die set that has the comoplete kit for all sorts of stuff, obviously the tool kit was expensive but you could borrown one from someone or something like that, does anyone know what this tool is called because i cant remember for the life of me
yeah i have a tap and die set but its not counter screw threads or aleast i dont think we have a reverse thread. right now my best bet is to get that dam bolt off i might order that thing that cjhutch sent me.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Channel locks are not going to do it. You need a pair of curved-jaw Vise Grips like these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5827

Once you lock the pliers tightly onto the drain plug, use a 1' section of pipe on the handle with the knob for extra leverage. Make sure that the pliers grip in the direction that the plug loosens. A little heat from a small torch on the area of the pan around the plug will also help. BTW, who last tightened the drain plug?... Ron

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I'll reiterate my post above - twenty dollars and someone with a lift will solve your problem. Even if the bolt is too tight, it isn't necessarily stripped.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'll second the curved jaw vice grips + heat , they'll get it no probs , why pay someone else when you can DIY ?
:nono; Never try and remove ANY bolts on your car with an open ended spanner , i'll bet thats how you rounded it .

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a set of sockets made by Irwin which work like an external ezy out they are Australian made and have international branches but I could not find a branch in the US. Surely something similar would be available. You can even use a rattle gun with them. My set has 5 sockets ranging from 3/8 or 10mm through to 5/8 or 16mm. The dealer replaced my plug with gorilla force and I could not undo it and rounded the head but the Irwin socket did it easily.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
turns out i have stripped bolt head remover sockets ;oops:;oops: basicly these http://local.content.compendiumblog...-49ae-bcbc-bf3caa5f34de/100_2850 Bolt Out.JPG. im still having a hard time believing that my bolt got stripped that easily. I have yet to pull it out but tommarow i will try... i feel like an idoit ;oops:

EDIT: actualy guys i used a closed end wrench and the teeth started to slip i think i may have been using elcheapo but i was still suprised.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I'll second the curved jaw vice grips + heat , they'll get it no probs , why pay someone else when you can DIY ?

I agree usually, but sometimes paying a little save you a lot of time. When mine was stuck, this was definitely the case. Besides, it's sort of hard to get heat on this bolt, what with the rubber gasket, boiling oil etc nearby. Sometimes there's only so much you can do with yr car on ramps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts